Oil Filters

turnbowm

Understand that the Lexus oil filters are now made in Thailand, NOT Japan. Have always used the "made in Japan" filters, since I felt that the quality was worth the cost difference.

Am now thinking that the filters that I use in my '97 Camry V6 will work just as well in my wife's '98 ES300. One Lexus dealer that I previously checked with uses the standard Camry V6 filter. What are your thoughts?

Best regards, Martin T.

Understand that the Lexus oil filters are now made in Thailand, NOT Japan. Have always used the "made in Japan" filters, since I felt that the quality was worth the cost difference.

The Thailand oil filters have "Denso" stamped on them so they are a Denso filter design just like the previous oil filters.

For many years both Toyota and Honda have contracted companies outside of Japan to make oil filters. Case history: Since the early 1990's Toyota has contracted Purolator to make genuine Toyota truck oil filters to Toyota standards. I've used these filters for 436,000 troublefree miles on my 4 cylinder Toyota truck. Engine compression is still like new so these filters have done a superb job at preventing any major engine wear due to dirt and abrasives in the oil.

I think you will find that Lexus/Toyota has only one filter for their V6 and it is used for both lines.

The filters that end in D1 or D3 are made in Thailand. Toyota changed manufacturers in December 2003. Hopefully there is no difference between these and their predecessor.

Other alternatives that work very well are Mobil 1 (M1-102) and K&N Gold (HP-1002). The K&N actually has a molded nut on the end of the case that will help you remove it, as it is a tight and hot squeeze getting a filter wrench up under the exhaust manifold.

steviej