Engine Problem

weiss

97 ls400 204500 miles, engine light is on code P0340 (cam shaft position sensor bank 1), rough idle at start, loss of power if press more on gas the car jerks. i have replaced both cam shaft position sensors and engine coolant temp sensor but no improvement. any ideas what could be the problem?

• 2 months later...

Judging from your description and my past experience with a 2000 LS430, have you checked out the engine airflow sensor and see if it is defective?

Sometimes, when the sensor is defective, the engine will start to vibrate as you drive, and when you press for more gas, the engine may even stop. Definitely not safe on the road, especially freeway. Get it fixed ASAP

97 ls400 204500 miles, engine light is on code P0340 (cam shaft position sensor bank 1), rough idle at start, loss of power if press more on gas the car jerks. i have replaced both cam shaft position sensors and engine coolant temp sensor but no improvement. any ideas what could be the problem?

Your concern may be one of a number of things. Have you had the timing belt replaced recently? I have seen improperly routed cam position sensor wires rub through after a while and create the open circuit that sets this code.