Help - Check Engine Light Codes

tomb57

I have a 2000 RX300 with the check engine light on with the following codes: PO171, PO136, P1150, P1130, P1153. I've tried cleaning the MAF (doesn't seem to help, but did 2 years ago) I've looked for vacuum leaks, but didn't find anything. The guy at O'Rielys said O2 sensor because it had all those codes. But I don't know what to think. I hate to just start throwing money at it, but am tempted to try a new MAF first. Any good and accurate advise?

Tom,

May I say one thing. In this day and age, when you can get a very usable code reader or scanner for $20. to $50., EVERYONE who even knows how to gas their own vehicle should have one. Even though some of the parts stores will do it for free, It still is worth it for the little cost, to own your own.

WHENEVER you have a flurry of codes like that, the only reasonable thing to do is record what came up, cancel them out and run it till the light comes on again and read what comes up as soon as the light comes on. You are much more likely to get a usable code that way. All you're doing is chasing your tail if you try to deal with all those codes. Do you seriously think that ALL those codes point to valid problems? Probably better chance of winning the lottery. I have read of as many as 8 codes at one time when a CEL is lit. Absolutely no chance of all those being valid, a small chance that NONE of them are actually the problem. A computer has an electronic brain, and although we couldn't fix a lot of the problems without 'em, the brain IS electronic, and sometimes I think, not very big or smart.

Here is a good Lexus specific site to decipher the codes. There's a LOT of GOOD info on that site, just wander. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/lexus/

Tom,

May I say one thing. In this day and age, when you can get a very usable code reader or scanner for $20. to $50., EVERYONE who even knows how to gas their own vehicle should have one. Even though some of the parts stores will do it for free, It still is worth it for the little cost, to own your own.

WHENEVER you have a flurry of codes like that, the only reasonable thing to do is record what came up, cancel them out and run it till the light comes on again and read what comes up as soon as the light comes on. You are much more likely to get a usable code that way. All you're doing is chasing your tail if you try to deal with all those codes. Do you seriously think that ALL those codes point to valid problems? Probably better chance of winning the lottery. I have read of as many as 8 codes at one time when a CEL is lit. Absolutely no chance of all those being valid, a small chance that NONE of them are actually the problem. A computer has an electronic brain, and although we couldn't fix a lot of the problems without 'em, the brain IS electronic, and sometimes I think, not very big or smart.

Here is a good Lexus specific site to decipher the codes. There's a LOT of GOOD info on that site, just wander. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/lexus/

Excellent advice to be sure. Its also common for one code to be the cause of the other codes, when I had my coil failures I remember getting the cylinder misfire code and because the car was then running on only 5 cylinders you get a raft of other codes as the symptoms of the poor running engine begin to affect all the downstream sensors.

Tom,

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree that all those codes are not accurate. I'll reset them and try a get to autozone when the CEL comes back on.