Buzzing From Dash

Hello everyone. My 2000 GS 300 turned over 90,000 miles this week and almost exactly the same time I started having a buzzing sounc occur when I first start the car. I had to laugh. It was as if it were programmed to occur at that milage. It only lasts 15 seconds are so, it is pretty loud and occurs regardless if AC or radio is on or off.

Does anyone have idea what this may be? Thanks so much. I always appreciate your responses.

Susan

• 2 months later...

I have GS 300, and I haven't experienced this problem in my car.

But, the sound that you are describing sounds to me like a chattering relay. Put your head under the dashboard and try to find out were the sound is coming from.

Relay chattering can occur due to bad electrical contacts due to oxidation. Pull out every suspected relay, spray on socket pins with WD40 or even better CRC 5-56. Do the same thing with ALL fuses in the car.

Also check if some relay is on its way out of the relay socket, due to ageing and vibration

Look for miscoloured relay covers due to overheating. If found, replace relay.

Finally, if this doesn’t work, find the faulty relay and replace.

/Råger

:angry: I can't believe no one since MAY has even attempted to help out here. I guess the old Ringers here have better things to do than to help out fellow GS owners.. I have noticed the lack of help or advice these days.. If that's the case please just shut down the forum section altogether. As for my 2 cents, I believe your issue may be caused by your CD player becoming defective within the mechanics. I'm having the same issue.. i'm still looking into it. I guess we'll have to figure it out ourselves. Hang in there buddy.

As I'm one of the "Old Ringers" you describe, and a moderator as well, I like to offer help as much as I can.

Unfortunately, the original post gives no actual details as to the location of the sound. It seems as little effort was spent describing the issue.

Hello everyone. My 2000 GS 300 turned over 90,000 miles this week and almost exactly the same time I started having a buzzing sounc occur when I first start the car. I had to laugh. It was as if it were programmed to occur at that milage. It only lasts 15 seconds are so, it is pretty loud and occurs regardless if AC or radio is on or off.

Does anyone have idea what this may be? Thanks so much. I always appreciate your responses.

Susan

Look at it from a mechanics point of view. If you took your car into the shop and said to the guy "hey, my car makes a noise, can you fix it?" He would need a heck of a lot more information before he even began to form an opinion.

That being said, if someone wants to offer a more detailed account of their problem, some fine soul on this board might be more willing to lend assistance.

Stick your head under the dash. Listen with the glove box both open and closed. Apply the brake pedal several times with the key on. (The brake modulator pumps often cycle for a short period on these cars after several brake applications or just after starting.) Open the hood and have a helper turn on the key. If you suspect it is the CD player, remove the cartridge and retest. There are many ways to help pinpoint a sound.

• 2 years later...

Susan

I have exactly the same problem in my 2004 GS300. It just started happening consistently recently and I have 72,000 miles on mine. Did you ever get your taken care of? What is causing the noise? It sounds like something rubbing against a fan.

Try using an automotive stethoscope to locate the noise source. Mine looks exactly like the one in the attached photo.

In a previous Lexus I had, a buzzing sound was caused by debris contacting the HVAC fan under the dash - it was a cheap fix. But locate the noise source first - it may be coming from somewhere else. Be careful when using a stethoscope around moving parts.

post-2157-0-20606100-1387849471_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

I have a 03 GS 300 and have the same issue too. At first it appeared to occur whenever I used the windshield wiper fluid but now it appears to be linked to fan or a/c. It comes from the center of the dash. The noise occurs when I start and sometimes while driving too. Anyone figured out the issue?

• 1 year later...

Yes,

The noise comes from SERVO motors which adjust flaps in the ventilation system.  Mine has four and as far as I can tell they are all different.  To replace them is quite a job.  Most of the sections on the bottom side of the dashboard have to be removed to get to the servo motors.  Mine have three on the passenger side and one on the drivers side.  The one that makes the noise when you start up the car is on the passenger side behind and under the glove compartment.  You might want to replace all of them since if one is making noise the other ones will soon follow.

Good Luck!

• 1 year later...

According to my 2001 Lexus Owner's Manual, It stated as following.

LOOK-UP: BRAKE SYSTEM

READ: Brake Booster, Your answer is on page 195, (the brake system warning light comes on and BUZZER sounds)

Susan

According to my 2001 Lexus Owner's Manual, It stated as following.

LOOK-UP: BRAKE SYSTEM

READ: Brake Booster, Your answer is on page 195, (the brake system warning light comes on and BUZZER sounds)