2000 470 - 90K Service - What To Expect

Jangell

I am coming up on 90K miles and am looking to get the car serviced.

I generally take it to the Toyota Dealership as the service is much more reasonably priced. Should I have any concerns around doing that with a significant service interval like this?

Any idea what I am in for with regard to cost? Does this particular model have a timing belt that needs to be changed?

Any Gotchas I should be aware of?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest replacing the water pump at the same time...I did this job on my daughters Sequoia which has same engine, and replaced timing belt, waterpump, and idler bearings...Got all parts Original equipment on ebay for $250... Maybe buy them and ask dealer to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Kit-Lexus-SUV-V8-98-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aLexusQ7cModelQ3aLX470QQhashZitem3a6486d8aaQQitemZ250794662058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would suggest replacing the water pump at the same time...I did this job on my daughters Sequoia which has same engine, and replaced timing belt, waterpump, and idler bearings...Got all parts Original equipment on ebay for $250... Maybe buy them and ask dealer to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Kit-Lexus-SUV-V8-98-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aLexusQ7cModelQ3aLX470QQhashZitem3a6486d8aaQQitemZ250794662058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Fantastic. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My '01 LX470 had its 180,000 mile service not long ago at the Lexus dealer. This is the same as 90k service. I've been doing the minor services (oil and filter change, rotate tires, etc) myself. The big service consisted mainly of replacing the timing belt and water pump. I had some bearings that were replaced at the same time because they were pretty worn, and the belt was already off, so it was an easy job. You SHOULD NOT go much over 90,000 miles without changing the belt. The 2UZ-FE engine that our trucks use is an interference engine which means that if the timing is off (i.e. the belt breaks) the valves and pistons can impact each other, resulting in catastrophic engine damage. While it's getting the "big service" you could check out the driveshaft just to make sure everything is lubricated properly. I assume the dealership has been checking this, but without lubricant, it will wear out prematurely.