Where Is The Coolant Going?

91ls400

I looked at my coolant level today an it was about 3/4 inch below the bottom line, where it is supposed to be. I know that there is a huge debate over the red and the green coolant, I have the red coolant and need to get more, there are suggestions on this site to use only genuine red toyota coolant. Can I only get this at a toyota dealership? Does Autozone or Advance Auto sell an acceptable red substitute?

Where is all the coolant going? I dont have any thing dripping from my car, so is it burning coolant, is that even possible?

When you checked your coolant level, was the engine still hot? Try checking the coolant level in the morning, before you start the car. This will give the coolant time to return to the reservoir.

I did check the coolant in the morning. I have noticed though that the coolant level is higher, between the lines on the resevoir, when the engine is warm.

I remember that when I got the car back from the timing belt service there was dried coolant all over the resevoir, i just thought that the service guys were careless and dumped it all over. Do you think that the coolant just overflowed?