My Shoking Expirience With Bay Ridge Lexus.

isgspring

I am writing in shock and disbelieve of the experience I’ve had with one of Authorized Dealers. As a long time owner of 1994 LS400 when the time came to buy a new car I did not think twice . I knew it will be a Lexus, and definitely a new one.

I narrowed my choice to a ES350 and arrived to the nearest dealership in BAY RIDGE, BROOKLYN. On 10/21/2010 I took a delivery of a new car . Little that I know!!! In a few weeks I started noticing paint piling of in multiple places on left side of the car. when I brought it to the attention of the dealership when I came for a 1000 miles service I was told that this is a result of stones chipping of the paint and nothing can be done about it.

i visited the dealership a few more times and was told by the service manager that the paint problems are due to the fact that my car has been repainted and probably this is done by a parking attendant who damaged my car and tried to cover it up.

After I replied that I park myself did not repaint anything and my 1994 LS400 did not had any paint problems after so many years he went to his office. He came back in few minutes and declared that it’s possible THE CAR HAS BEEN REPAINTED PRIOR TO THE SALE.

WHAT? A CAR HAS BEEN REPAINTED PRIOR TO THE SALE ? AND YOU SOLD IT TO ME AS NEW? i

He’s replay was : WE DID NOT KNOW THAT . I went home signed on to LEXUS.COM and sure there is an entry stating the car was damaged on 08/24/2010 two month prior to the sale. A repainted car was sold as NEW !!!!!!

OH I would have them...Print that info out and Then in a firm tone, but polite, tell them you expect repair of the paint, and a reduction in refund of an amount agreeable to you of the purchase price...Or maybe a compromise of an extended warranty for free...I believe there are laws that protect the consumer from buying a new item that has been damaged, and not disclosed.

Seriously!? They seriously tried to sell it as a NEW car?? :blink:

I've never heard this one before, definitely a new low for Lexus! Who would think to inspect for body work on a new car...

Talk to the GM at the dealership or even get Lexus corporate involved if there is no offer to help from the GM. They should at the least take care of the paint work...and toss in a few services and warranty too.

This actually happens a lot more than you'd think. Cars are minorly damaged in transit, repaired, and then sold. Likely you've had cars before that this has been the case, you just don't know because you never had the benefit of that computer program.

Is the dealer willing to repaint the panel at their expense and do it properly?

This is pretty common, I don't think you have a case beyond the car being repainted properly.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. I have consulted a number of lawyers on that matter and was told that the dealership is in a serous violation of a number of consumer laws. I have a very strong case, but am trying to negotiate a resolution with the GM to avoid litigation. I will keep you posted.

I wouldn't take what lawyers tell you at face value.. You'd only have a case if the car was in a serious accident. More likely the fender was scratched or scraped and repainted improperly before the sale. How many panels are we talking about? Can you post pictures?

Ask the lawyers what specific consumer laws the dealer is in violation of...

The only thing i would be worried about is the longevity of the repair. And from your description it doesn't sound too promising!

What if this issue only surfaced the day after your warranty were up? Then you'd really be on your own... It's a good thing you caught this now- make sure they give you an extended warranty!