Faulty Top

SOFAKING

Has anyone with an sc430 experienced a top hinge going bad? I have an 06 with 25,000 miles and several times the top will not fully close . The red light stays on and the top will not go down. I turn off and on but the top will not fully close or open. The chime always rings as if a door was open , rendering the car undrinkable. According to JM Lexus the hinge is bent and needs replacement for $4400. Of course the extended protection plan doesn't cover it. Has anyone had this experience and how was it resolved.

I had a similar problem with mine when I had the windshield replaced. The glass repair shop stuck a screwdriver into the hold where the limit switch made up when the top closed. I had to remove the molding on both sides of the windshield and do a continuity check for each limit switch when the top was up to see which switch was bad. Mine was the passenger switch and I removed it, found how they had bent it and simply fixed the switch. I would bet money that one of your limit switches in the top corner of the windshield is not making up for some reason. A bent hinge would simply prevent the top from lining up when it closed. If the alignment pins are going into the holes in the corners, then the hinge is not bent, but rather a limit switch problem. Even if the hinge bent, $4400 is an outrageous price. Let me know if I can help.

So far the Dealer is pushing back on this. The car, an 06 ,has had this issue since 2007 and been repaired 3 times. I purchased an extended protection plan which of course doesn't cover it or the broken mirror bracket in the drivers door. This is a 22,0000 mile car that has never even been in a car wash . I have owned 9 Lexus in the past and currently have an IS, GX and SC. I guess all the costs involved with recalls and the tsunami have Toyota pinching pennies at the expense of their loyal customers. Looks like the battle is about to begin. :chairshot:

I'm told by our Body Shop Manager, Bobby Glaize, that this can be pushed through insurance. Please contact him and he'll help you get it through your insurance... Bobby Glaize, JM LEXUS Body Shop Manager, 954-969-3233.

• 8 months later...

I'm told by our Body Shop Manager, Bobby Glaize, that this can be pushed through insurance. Please contact him and he'll help you get it through your insurance... Bobby Glaize, JM LEXUS Body Shop Manager, 954-969-3233.

How about a broken mirror bracket that causes wind noise . Ever hear of this issue ?