96 Ls400 Rack And Pinion Leak

yotoy82

So after changing my lower ball joints and strut rod, went to the shop to get an alignment. The car actually drove great and seemed pretty straight, but the steering wheel seemed a bit off center so thought its best not to take a chance.

Anyway, they called and said the rack and pinion was leaking, and that they couldn't do an alignment, that if they did do an alignment it would ruin the seals and it would gush out power steering fluid.

They said its ok to drive etc, but the alignment was the main issue but that couldn't be done without addressing the rack and pinion issue.

Is there a way to fix a rack and pinion leak without having to replace the entire thing? They said 3 hours of labor and I saw at Sewell Lexus (which is now my favorite place to buy Lexus parts), the rack and pinion was around $380 or so with the forum discount.

Any thoughts on what should I do or did they tell me anything which was incorrect? They said it was a bad leak but my power steering fluid looked full, and I've never seen any leaks on my driveway.

So after changing my lower ball joints and strut rod, went to the shop to get an alignment. The car actually drove great and seemed pretty straight, but the steering wheel seemed a bit off center so thought its best not to take a chance.

Anyway, they called and said the rack and pinion was leaking, and that they couldn't do an alignment, that if they did do an alignment it would ruin the seals and it would gush out power steering fluid.

They said its ok to drive etc, but the alignment was the main issue but that couldn't be done without addressing the rack and pinion issue.

Is there a way to fix a rack and pinion leak without having to replace the entire thing? They said 3 hours of labor and I saw at Sewell Lexus (which is now my favorite place to buy Lexus parts), the rack and pinion was around $380 or so with the forum discount.

Any thoughts on what should I do or did they tell me anything which was incorrect? They said it was a bad leak but my power steering fluid looked full, and I've never seen any leaks on my driveway.

Thoughts? Yeah. Take it to another shop for a second opinion. Advice sounds all wet (with PS fluid <_< ).