90 Ls400 Newbie Help

nurvcom

ok i just got this ls400 for cheap very nice inside and out just few problems

Oil Leak pan was loose

Bad driver coil

and something loose bolt in bell-housing i think

ok i put new driver coil and car act like new

but i just notices when start up Cold start Smokes smells like oil but after 30sec to 1min gone ( I unhooked the PS pump Air control Valve i was reading that if ps pump could be leaking into intake manifold via that but been unhooked and still smokes :(( )

well my goal is to Smog it for REG CALI...

What I have planned for my next paycheck is spark plugs and oil Change and resealing oil Pan

Any recommends for getting it to stop Smoking on start up and help getting it to pass smog?

any help is appreciated

If it is white smoke and only at startup is probably a bad ACV in your PS pump. Lots of posts here about how to fix it or how to bypass it. Since your car is 21 years young you probably don't want to spend much so maybe the bypass and plug options make more sense for you.

As for smog test I doubt it matters. Usually these tests are done once the engine is fully warmed so by then you've burned through any of this material. For newer cars they don't even use a probe and just look for emissions errors in the ECU log.

It will eventually just burn away if you have stopped the leak. If you want you can take the duct out after the ACV hose port and clean it out with some solvent. Never hurts to clean up throttle body. I doubt seafoam will magically fix it. I think some rags, brushes and some elbow grease is more likely to get the job done.

ok

new question

today when my car started it pulsing idle and only thing i have touch so far is Vaccum to ps pump caped off i re-hooked up still same pulsing idle

ok pulled IACV it was rusted inside? i never washed Motor :( so i got one from pick n pull it working perfect :)

Should i add Motor oil like Stop leak or something near that to oil to help it not smoke After cleaning tbody and could i remove top part of intake manifold to Clean? or is that overboard

Rusted? Strange usually all carboned up and dirty but I'm a bit surprised it was rusted. Anyway important thing is the valve be freely moving. The magnetic mechanism to steer it isn't that powerful so if its binding the mechanism won't be able to overcome the friction.

I think you just clean up IACV (and maybe a dab of oil on IACV pivot points)and TB and maybe wash inside of air duct just before TB with rags and a bit of degreaser and you should be good to go. I'm not a big believer in all the lotions and potions for cars. More marketing hype than fact based science for most of them.

Rusted? Strange usually all carboned up and dirty but I'm a bit surprised it was rusted. Anyway important thing is the valve be freely moving. The magnetic mechanism to steer it isn't that powerful so if its binding the mechanism won't be able to overcome the friction.

I think you just clean up IACV (and maybe a dab of oil on IACV pivot points)and TB and maybe wash inside of air duct just before TB with rags and a bit of degreaser and you should be good to go. I'm not a big believer in all the lotions and potions for cars. More marketing hype than fact based science for most of them.

ya inside the black cover where the magnet is the bearing was rusted and stopped moving there was a small hair line crack at bottom of the plug on black cover...

ok for your part 2

ok i got under car and started to take look at the mess of oil pan Dam it going to be fun

imag0490.jpg

Any good ideas that could help me fix with out taking motor or anything big out I don't the place to do it :(

and could anyone tell me if my ls400 is California or 50 state Model

imag0491o.jpg

imag0489s.jpg

trying my best to get this car to 100% good running and clean car one step at a time ...

I just bought a 1996 Ls 400 and love it, but I have an oil leak, I think it is the front crank seal. I am a DIY guy, so will study this and then do the job once I completely size it up. Any recommendations on diy tutorials on the web?

Thanks!

There are a few tutorials on Timing Belt Replacement and that is 85% of the work to get to front crankshaft seal. Additional step is to pull the TB sprocket off the crankshaft and remove and replace the seal. Then reassemble. Use a new TB and consider a new waterpump while you've gone that far.. Its a big job so not worth it to skimp on a few parts. Dealer would probably charge $1500-2000 but you can do it for $500-600 in parts.