2001 Rx300 Awd Skid Control Beep

jllowery

I've got a 2001 rx300 (217k) awd and for the last few days a fast beep has been coming from the dash area. It was first only on curves and is now intermittently engaging even on straightaways or over bumps at any speed. A google search leads me to believe this is a vsc issue and there is surely a sensor somewhere that needs replacing or possibly the vsc can be overridden/disabled. The car runs fine but with this many miles on it I don't want to take it to the dealer and spend much money on it. In the 2wd models, I know there is a vsc switch, but don't think that is the case with the 2001 4wd models. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

John

I've got a 2001 rx300 (217k) awd and for the last few days a fast beep has been coming from the dash area. It was first only on curves and is now intermittently engaging even on straightaways or over bumps at any speed. A google search leads me to believe this is a vsc issue and there is surely a sensor somewhere that needs replacing or possibly the vsc can be overridden/disabled. The car runs fine but with this many miles on it I don't want to take it to the dealer and spend much money on it. In the 2wd models, I know there is a vsc switch, but don't think that is the case with the 2001 4wd models. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

John

There are only 2 sensors unique to VSC, a steering wheel rotational position sensor and "yaw" detection sensor. The first is integral to the steering wheel/assembly and the second is floor mounted, bolted to the floor. Under the rear seat I think.

Try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes to reset the VSC ECU.

"..over bumps..."

Loose yaw sensor, maybe "loose" internally.

Thank you so much, jaswood. I'll definitely do that tomorrow. I found myself on an open stretch of highway today and played with it a bit. When I swerve a little, as if steering into a skid, the beeping stops (until it starts again with a lane change or curve.

• 9 years later...

I have the same issue on a 2002 Lexus RX300. I have disconnected the ABS at the connector between the ABS control module and the coolant fluid reservoir and tried recalibrating the yaw sensor (although it did not do anything). I have not located the yaw sensor. Do you need to remove the rear seat to access that sensor?