Firewall Penetration

N0AXT

I have a 2004 Lexus GX 470. I need to run a power cable for a ham radio from battery, thru the fire wall, to left rear storage compartment. Where/how can I penetrate the firewall? How can I run cable, two #10 wires, through passenger compartment?

I can't answer your question, but on my 00 LS400, my mechanic ran the power cable for my trailer lights from my trunk underneath the car to a terminal in the engine compartment fuse box. The power cable exits the trunk through an existing hole used for an ABS wire. I'm not sure how he hid the power cable under the car. He said he tucked in up into the car body and secured it with cable ties but I can't see it - he did a great job and it's been working for years. The terminal in the engine compartment fuse box looks like it was made for powering accessories. My mechanic put an inline fuse where the cable attaches to the fuse box terminal so that it is protected by the fuse box cover. Maybe a method like this would work for you.

Is there a reason you need to connect your radio directly to the battery? Maybe yours draws more power than mine (an Icom IC-V8000), but it works fine on all three power settings when connected to the cigarette lighter plug with an adapter I made. If I used it in the car more often and wanted to mount it permanently, I would probably just hard-wire it in. I would think doing one of those two things would be much easier than running a cable to the battery. Good luck, KD0EVL. :)