Tinted Windows In Es350

LexBob2

thanks mostly to having cop friends giving me their cards to display when stopped..gotta play the game, lol

Man I need some of those cards! lol actually I have a few state boys insured with me, as well as the dispatcher for the local police and the state police departments. I don't usually even do any name dropping but I am just respectful and do the whole I am wrong sir I am sorry by the way any chance this could be a warning? :)

thanks mostly to having cop friends giving me their cards to display when stopped..gotta play the game, lol

Man I need some of those cards! lol actually I have a few state boys insured with me, as well as the dispatcher for the local police and the state police departments. I don't usually even do any name dropping but I am just respectful and do the whole I am wrong sir I am sorry by the way any chance this could be a warning? :)

I have always been way respectful when stopped with mixed results...cards work better...

was not comfortable showing the cards at first, and to some degree, I am still not, but it works bigtime

I like your style Lexir! My son in law is a deputy and the whole name drooping thing is a big laugh among the guys when they're swapping stories from being on patrol. All they want is for someone to at least accept some responsibility instead of trying to make it someone else's fault.

Paul

I like your style Lexir! My son in law is a deputy and the whole name drooping thing is a big laugh among the guys when they're swapping stories from being on patrol. All they want is for someone to at least accept some responsibility instead of trying to make it someone else's fault.

Paul

agree that they don't want you not taking responsibility, but disagree huge that proving you know a fellow officer is laughed at

at least here in NY, not only is the practice of proving you know another cop in play, but there is some degree of detail to it

the closer your relationship to the cop you know, the better..the cop that stops you will actually ask how well you know the person

also, if the card is old, that won't work

so sick, but you have to play along

either you are part of the silly game or you are on the outside looking in and sh*t out of luck

Or you could always not get speeding tickets ;)

And what fun would that be? I am only kidding seriously I have slowed down quite a bit in my old age! :)

The tag covers were the main reason I was getting pulled. I have taken them off so hopefully I am good now. Got stopped once since I have had them off. But I have been good lately.

Or you could always not get speeding tickets ;)

And what fun would that be? I am only kidding seriously I have slowed down quite a bit in my old age! :)

The tag covers were the main reason I was getting pulled. I have taken them off so hopefully I am good now. Got stopped once since I have had them off. But I have been good lately.

I have slowed with my advancing years also, so risk is dramatically reduced..especially the risk of getting a ticket for some insanely high speed

It's been several years since I've had a speeding ticket, but last winter, I got one for rear-ending a person when the roads were slick. I went to court and got it dismissed because of the road conditions. My question however is, my insurance company noted the ticket on my insurance record. I assumed since it was dismissed it would not count. Does anyone know how this works before I call the company? I imagine it varies by state and insurance company.

Paul

Paul most of the time the court dismisses the points associated with the ticket. But if the violation shows even with no points the insurance companies can still use it. I wouldn't worry about it too much because you should not be charged with the accident and the violation both by the insurance company. They may both be listed but the states that I am in the insurance company can only charge you with one of the violations not both if they are for the same incident.

If you went to court and they tossed it out it wouldn't show on your MVR so there should be no way the insurance company could even know about it.

Good luck.

Paul most of the time the court dismisses the points associated with the ticket. But if the violation shows even with no points the insurance companies can still use it. I wouldn't worry about it too much because you should not be charged with the accident and the violation both by the insurance company. They may both be listed but the states that I am in the insurance company can only charge you with one of the violations not both if they are for the same incident.

If you went to court and they tossed it out it wouldn't show on your MVR so there should be no way the insurance company could even know about it.

Good luck.

Thank you very much Lexir! I really appreciate the information.

Have a great day!

Paul

I got my car back today and it looks nice. I went with the 40% all around. It could be a little darker maybe (35% is legal here) but I wanted to error on the side of a little too light vs. to dark for a variety of reasons. Looks like the shop did a good job. Now for some sun so I can see how it works...

• 1 month later...

IMG00199-20110216-1452.jpgIMG00196-20110216-1451.jpg

It was 118 here yesterday and I'm grateful for the tint!

Had ours done at 20% and on a black car with chrome wheels, I think it looks sorta stealthy - -

Your car looks nice. How did you decide on 20%?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

LexBob2.. can you share pics of how your 40% turned out?

I'll be putting aside some money to get mine done and will need to decide how dark to go.

I had tint on my mini and it was too dark for my personal preference.. I think it was a 30 or 25.

It looked good, but felt it was too dark visually for me.

I have the starfire with parchment interior (two tone dash).

Thanks so much!

Sorry, but I no longer have the 2010 ES350 (Starfire Pearl/Parchment). I took a Before picture but never got around to taking an After picture. It was a little lighter than preferred, but it was legal and overall I thought it looked good - Understated if you will.

I understand and thank you for the response.

If you had had the chance.. how much darker than the 40 would you have gone?

Did you get another Lexus?

35% is legal so I wouldn't go any lower than that. I'd probably stay with 40%. I visited a couple of tint shops and they showed me how the various tints would look. It was helpful.

After 2 ES350's I got a 2013 Audi Q5.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

i don't think having mixed percentages of tint on the car is gonna look good at all....it's a lexus, requires a certain look, lol

No one ever commented about the rear window of my 90 LS not being tinted while the side windows had 35% tint. It looked fine and I enjoyed the clear rear view on dark winter days when I lowered the retractable shade. Attached is a photo of the 90 LS taken a few days before I sold it in 2003.

The non-metalized tint on the rear window of my 00 LS is a different shade of gray than the metalized tint on the side windows. I don't think anybody can tell and no one has ever commented. Can you tell? Look at the photo of my 00 LS showing both the rear and side windows from a distance - it's the photo labeled "with winter tires".

It is quite common to tint the front side windows to a different degree than the rear side and/or back windshield. Many states do not allow the same degree of tint on all windows -- here is a table showing the various state requirements: http://www.tintlaws.com/ And what about SUV's and minivans? They almost always have darker factory tinted windows aft of the front side windows.

As for a Lexus requiring a certain "look", the photo of the license plate frame on my 00 LS says what I think about that! If I "followed the herd", I wouldn't have bought my first Lexus LS 21+ years ago at a time when many people, including some of my friends, said it was stupid to pay so much for a gussied up Toyota.

I am sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have an update to tint laws listings - tintlaws.com hasn´t ben updated for quite a time and in 2015 it´s already quite inaccurate. Check out windowtintlaws.org for up-to-date listings.

• 9 months later...