Noise While Rolling

OK have had my RX400h for a couple of months now..I noticed recently with the warmer weather that when the car is rolling at slow speed (under 25) you hear a scraping noise from the wheels, mostly from rear. For each revolution of the wheel there is a scrape sound. Last night I took of the caliper and the noise was still there. I believe it is the emergency brake shoes. I took the drum off and noise is gone...Man is this car so quiet that we dont really hear these noise with the normal no hybrid? However this morning all four tires are make a weird squish noise rolling out...Does everybody hear these noises also? The tires are Toyo Country's The car has 92k miles. By the way there was no noise on the rear after removing the brake disk... The adjusters do work on the brake shoes and they seemed free. Maybe the release cable is not pulling back everytime..Anyway I am interested if anyone hears these noises also on their hybrid at low speed (backing up and forward)

OK have had my RX400h for a couple of months now..I noticed recently with the warmer weather that when the car is rolling at slow speed (under 25) you hear a scraping noise from the wheels, mostly from rear. For each revolution of the wheel there is a scrape sound. Last night I took of the caliper and the noise was still there. I believe it is the emergency brake shoes. I took the drum off and noise is gone...Man is this car so quiet that we dont really hear these noise with the normal no hybrid? However this morning all four tires are make a weird squish noise rolling out...Does everybody hear these noises also? The tires are Toyo Country's The car has 92k miles. By the way there was no noise on the rear after removing the brake disk... The adjusters do work on the brake shoes and they seemed free. Maybe the release cable is not pulling back everytime..Anyway I am interested if anyone hears these noises also on their hybrid at low speed (backing up and forward)

i keep 32-33-34 psi in my tires not the 30 recommeded

Hmm... can't say I notice any "squish" noises coming from the tires on my Rx400h, can you elaborate more on what you mean by "squish"? Does this noise (as you described with the scraping noise) happen only once every revolution or is it consistent the whole time? And did it start right after you fixed the scraping noise or was it present before that too?

You could try playing with the tire pressure. I had some issues with my tires squealing every time I turned or accelerated quickly, but after raising the PSI to around 34-35 the noise mysteriously terminated...

I do know for a fact that Lexus has had issues with the emergency brakes getting rusty and stuck, it happened on my Rx300. Mechanic suggested using the emergency brake every so often to ensure it didn't get stuck for good...

The scrape noise is diffinetly the emergency brake shoes...they are not rusted but I will readjust them...I will check tire pressure...

Well I tried a quick fix of adjusting the emergency brake shoes...The right rear was difintely rubbing hard...Sound is better but still there...When adjusted by specification the shoes rub just a little...AS for the tires they are Toyo and just noisey...The pressure was at 37lbs.... At least I know things are OK, just a little noisey...I may take brakes apart and make sure everything is lubed well..The shoes need to slide in their retracted mode freely...

This is interesting. On the PriusChat board someone is complaining about the same noise in their Gen II Prius, I've been trying to help her but the dealer keeps insisting its "supposed" to make that noise, which its not. My theory was wheel bearings, but I'll bring your experience up to her.

Difference being the RXh is discs all around while the Prius is drums in the rear...it probably doesn't have a dedicated parking brake.

Toyo tires are VERY loud...

Steve thankyou for info on Toyo tires...really weird they were quiet when it was colder...warm weather makes them squishy...as for the other noise, definetely was not the wheel bearings...without the drums on the rear the wheels were quiet....

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know what the swish sound is, but regarding the emergency brake... It is often called a hand-brake (they still are hand-brake levers in many cars) or more generally parking brakes. They are designed to be used all the time, not just for emergencies. They keep the pressure off the automatic transmission parking pin (does a CVT even have this?) so it is a good idea to use it all the time, not just once and a while. It adds an element of safety to ensure the car does not roll down a hill if you did not engage the transmission into park properly. It is more commonly used in manual transmissions, but still worth keeping the habit up. This also keeps it from sticking.

Cheers.

The emergency brake is still dragging...I may just replace them and lube all sliding points...They just dont seem to want to stay clear of the drums on the disk...no matter how I adjust it. However with the disk off, their is no rubbing sound...