Complete F & R Disc/rotor Brake Job.. Need Feedback

My 2006 RX 400H is due for a complete brake overhaul. Dealer quoted me a G-Note for Pads and rotors. I find this to be a little beyond outrageous. I have performed complete brake jobs before, though I am no Class A Certified Mechanic, doing your own brakes is pretty basic.

I will be investing in a Brake Caliper service Tool, because I am pretty sure the rear calipers will require them since I am betting they will need to be screwed back in.

For those who have done their own brakes on there RX 400H, can you please share with me any insight or tips pertaining to this model?

Much appreciated,

Cheers,

LormaD

Sounds like typical luxo-car repair ripoff prices.

Sorry I cannot answer your question but am curious; how many miles did you get out of the OEM brakes?

THANKS!

Sorry I cannot answer your question but am curious; how many miles did you get out of the OEM brakes?

THANKS!

To be honest, the brakes were serviced once resurface the rotors and new pads spring 2009 @ 35000miles) unnecessarily in my opinion, and the vehicle has now 47,000 miles and the brakes perform relatively well. But, I did not some scoring on the rear rotors, and given the price I got on some replacement pads and rotors, I never like to leave the caliper piston compressed too low for a long period of time (vehicle was purchased June 2006).

I recall seeing a post a while back by someone who did his own brakes - nothing unusual. We have 59,000 miles on ours and they seem to be doing great.

Just took the rear brakes apart. Absolutely nothing special...Darn car is so quiet that when you roll slowly with hybrid power you hear the brake drums rubbing (emergency brake) but they were just fine...Took pictures of rear brakes and will keep handy...

THANKS!

To be honest, the brakes were serviced once resurface the rotors and new pads spring 2009 @ 35000miles) unnecessarily in my opinion, and the vehicle has now 47,000 miles and the brakes perform relatively well. But, I did not some scoring on the rear rotors, and given the price I got on some replacement pads and rotors, I never like to leave the caliper piston compressed too low for a long period of time (vehicle was purchased June 2006).

That seems extremely early for that service...I know my old RX300 went 80k miles before the pads even needed service...By the way the rear pistons do compress without a tool...The brake job is just a simple one.

I tend to agree, I was surprised at the premature recommendation by the STealer Dealer. The reason why, I have decided to go about it "old School". I used to do most of my own service, even when my vehicle was under warranty (previous vehicles) simply because most dealers (99.9%) are dishonest. Yes. Dishonest. They need to be to stay in business.

I also was looking for a portable sand blaster. My local auto parts store used to offer a device that plugged to a shopvac to generate the "power" required to pull silica, and blast in a confined area. I am not sure how it works, but it was approx 50-75 Dollar item. I wanted while performing the brake service, to clean the calipers and give them a quick sandblasting and a coat of flat black high temp paint prior to swapping out the new pads and rotors.

Anybody have any thoughts? I found a bunch of portable and compact sandblasters, but can no longer find the one I mentioned above.

I tend to agree, I was surprised at the premature recommendation by the STealer Dealer. The reason why, I have decided to go about it "old School". I used to do most of my own service, even when my vehicle was under warranty (previous vehicles) simply because most dealers (99.9%) are dishonest. Yes. Dishonest. They need to be to stay in business.

I also was looking for a portable sand blaster. My local auto parts store used to offer a device that plugged to a shopvac to generate the "power" required to pull silica, and blast in a confined area. I am not sure how it works, but it was approx 50-75 Dollar item. I wanted while performing the brake service, to clean the calipers and give them a quick sandblasting and a coat of flat black high temp paint prior to swapping out the new pads and rotors.

Anybody have any thoughts? I found a bunch of portable and compact sandblasters, but can no longer find the one I mentioned above.

If you do that make sure to tape of the piston area...Even one grain of sand would score the piston and destroy the seal...Try Harbor Freight Tools, with a 20% off coupon they might have just what you want for cheap..

Here is a BETTER picture of the device... not sure how much "performance" can be had by the cyclonic effect derived by a high performance shop-vac (the model I have, has the power to siphon and pump water). Will test and post results...

blasterw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tool was useless lol. It requires to be placed against a flat surface, to create the vortex... i.o.w., a brake caliper is not the ideal surface. I took out the rotary 90 degree grinder and put on a stiff wire mesh brush, and attacked the calipers and assembly. Cleaned everything right out, got rid of the rust and did a nice job wiping the stainless steel brake pad gliders too.

I found some high quality brake caliper paint, and the same product manufacturer had prep cleaner (that you apply prior to painting the surface), and clear coat. I "Porsche" 0pted for RED, along with the clear coat, the calipers look candy apple sweet. Also, I clear coated parts of the brake rotors that are exposed to the elements and that do not come into contact with the braking surface.

Thank god from another member who advised me how to back off the rear drum shoes on the inner side of the rear brake rotors, because otherwise I would of never gotten off one of the two rear discs.

The product is a big improvement over the factory disc and pad setup, in terms of brake feel. I made sure to take the necessary steps to "bed" in the brake pads (still doing so) and the vehicle is being driven gingerly (like if anybody drives there 400h like an X6)...

Cheers,

LormaD