Rx330

kh046

:angry:

I am new to the post. However, I've been reading what everyone else have posted.

Last week, I was driving up north to Fresno from San Diego, and my compass was showing S (south) all the way until I reached Los Angeles. I took it in for a 5K and had the guys check it out. They told me that nothing was wrong.

Also, the rear hatch on my RX330 sometimes does not respond using the remote. I will have unlocked all the doors, and then try the hatch. Sometimes that would not respond. Even after opening it manually, trying to push the close button on the rear hatch does not respond as well.

I've had my RX330 since October 03. This has happend to me at least 5 times. I've had this car in the shop more times than my 93 Camry.

Any inputs or related problems?

Have you tried calibrating the compass? The instructions are in the owners manual.

As for the hatch, isn't there a switch to deactivate the power hatch on the dashboard? I had one as a loaner and had a hell of a time making the power hatch work. Maybe this switch has a short in it...

Did notice this evening that the gps nav map showed my on screen moniker pointing/traveling southwardly (down towards floor) in orientation, yet the compass on screen indicated I was traveling northbound (which I was). The orientation of the nav screen therefore seemed flipped is what I am trying to communicate. When coming to an anticipated route turn, wherein I should have been turning right, the screen was saying I should be turning left to my desitination.

Thinking of going back the same route to see if this happens again while mapping this particular destination.

Anyone else experience this phenomina with the NAV?

I assume you are aware that the nav system has 2 modes-North always up and direction of travel always up. My wife prefers the latter. The mode can be changed by touching the screen on the north arrow at the top, left corner of the screen. We prefer the split screen which shows map on left half of the screen and the next turns on the right half. Then shows turn detail when you arrive at the next turn. My wife says it does tell her the wrong direction at one intersection on a frequency trip she makes. I have not tested that myself.

Have only owned the car since Saturday, thus I was not aware of this dual mode of which you speak. Must have accidentally hit the compass moniker and flipped the orientation. Thanks. Perhaps I will take the time to pop in my PC CD to learn more on the operation of this gaget.

300gone330

I also have the same experience regarding to the rear hatch. This morning I could not open the rear hatch either by pushing the button from the dash or the remote. I had to open and close it manually. Until I start the engine, all the buttons start to work again. This is the second time. I am not sure how to duplicate this if I bring this up to the service. Only thing I did yesterday was washing my car.

:angry:

I am new to the post.  However, I've been reading what everyone else have posted. 

Last week, I was driving up north to Fresno from San Diego, and my compass was showing S (south) all the way until I reached Los Angeles.  I took it in for a 5K and had the guys check it out.  They told me that nothing was wrong.

Also, the rear hatch on my RX330 sometimes does not respond using the remote.  I will have unlocked all the doors, and then try the hatch.  Sometimes that would not respond.  Even after opening it manually, trying to push the close button on the rear hatch does not respond as well. 

I've had my RX330 since October 03.  This has happend to me at least 5 times.  I've had this car in the shop more times than my 93 Camry.

Any inputs or related problems?

I just bought an RX330 last Thursday. My wife reported the same problem. I said she was "technologically challenged", then went out and found I was too. It definitely was not the glovebox on/off switch. When I opened and closed the door manually, it started working as before.

This is not exactly confidence inspiring on such a complicated piece of machinery. I have no idea what caused it, so don't know how to avoid it. Kevinklee, I did NOT wash my car!

Jim

Maybe thats what it is... you're not holding the button down long enough.

Thats true of the trunks on the sedans too, people dont hold the button down long enough and think the trunk release is not working.

I've got 8000 miles on mine and I've noticed this twice and both times it was operator error. The first time I didn't hold the button down on the remote long enough and just as it was starting to open I had let off the button and hit it a second time and it stopped and wouldn't open or close until I opened it up manually and closed it to reset it. The second time one of my kids actually grabbed the manual handle in the back to open it and released it but didn't open the hatch up. So the next time I got in it and started down the road it was trying to close and the open hatch light was blinking on and off on my dash. I had to stop the vehicle and open it up and close it. I read someone washed their vehicle and then it started acting up, they could have tripped the rear hatch without knowing it. Also I learned when opening it with the remote hold it down until it starts beeping and dont do like me and do the double punch.

I've got 8000 miles on mine and I've noticed this twice and both times it was operator error.  The first time I didn't hold the button down on the remote long enough and just as it was starting to open I had let off the button and hit it a second time and it stopped and wouldn't open or close until I opened it up manually and closed it to reset it.  The second time one of my kids actually grabbed the manual handle in the back to open it and released it but didn't open the hatch up.  So the next time I got in it and started down the road it was trying to close and the open hatch light was blinking on and off on my dash.  I had to stop the vehicle and open it up and close it.  I read someone washed their vehicle and then it started acting up, they could have tripped the rear hatch without knowing it.  Also I learned when opening it with the remote hold it down until it starts beeping and dont do like me and do the double punch.

My rear door had the same problem. I went to the dealer and he found that a plastic tarp that I carry in the back was in between the door and the chassis when closed. Once removed the door worked. Seems to be sensitive. I will continue to test it to be comfortable. Seems to happen after inactivity for a few days. <_<

Good news RX 330 owners. Lexus has a fix to address your Rear Power Hatch Inop Blues.

Theres a new part that will take care of this. Its called the Power Rear Door ECU P/N 89222-0E011 (Previous part was 89222-0E010).

Call before you take your vehicle in and tell the service writer to order you the ECU.

If they dont know what you are talking about, have the technician contact the LEXUS TAS Hotline.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Good news RX 330 owners. Lexus has a fix to address your Rear Power Hatch Inop Blues.

Theres a new part that will take care of this. Its called the Power Rear Door ECU P/N 89222-0E011 (Previous part was 89222-0E010).

Call before you take your vehicle in and tell the service writer to order you the ECU.

If they dont know what you are talking about, have the technician contact the LEXUS TAS Hotline.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks very much - zero4 - for the information. I find it interesting how other people are quick to blame all lexus problems on user error. It seems people think Lexus vehicles can not possibly have any problems. I have had more problems in the first 4 months of ownership than any of my last 3 new american cars - and they were all Chryslers !

>>Call before you take your vehicle in and tell the service writer to order you the ECU.

I'm getting resistance on this issue. My advisor has changed his tune now and says that he can't order the part until the onboard computer trips a code which indicates a problem with the rear hatch.

Is anybody else hitting this roadblock? It's a random occurrance and I can't recreate it on demand. And I have no idea what it will take to get this status code to occur.

Vigad,

Go back and read my post again I said that I had 2 problems with the rear hatch and both of MINE were operator error. Both of them can be easily avoided if you know what to look for. I was trying to info others of what I discovered. I never said that this is what everyone's problem is, someone might actually have a defective part. I myself though would much rather check out something at my house than go to the dealer and raise a stink and find out it is something I was doing. I have had a few problems with my RX330 but there is no way I would compare it to a Chrysler. I guarantee you aren't grading them on the same scale. After driving my RX 330 I have went back and looked at Amreican made cars and noticed lots of things that I had "overlooked" when I owned an American car.

>>have the technician contact the LEXUS TAS Hotline

....just out of curiosity. What does TAS stand for? Is this a hotline only for Lexus technicians?

TAS stands for Technical Assistance System. This is the number Lexus technicans call to get technical advise (factory support).

The rear door failure will not set a fault code. If you cant get the dealer to believe you, get the rear door to fail and dont disturb it. The power rear door will not work till its manually raised and lowered. That way you can make them eat their words.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

eisens/CatKing/scubawin -- I can understand that for some folks, the problem is user error. That's not the case with mine (or several other members). I'm 100% positive, all doors were unlocked when this problem occurs. As you mentioned, the problem may not exist in all RX330s, but its a real issue.

Thanks zero4 -- I found a service advisor who has encountered this problem personally and seen it occur in 3 other RX330 vehicles. It's not user error, its a computer bug. As zero4 listed earlier, there is a part number for this replacement part. My advisor has back-ordered the part. I'll let people know the results after its installed.

...the Relentless pursuit of Perfection continues....