99 Rx 300

Jaadep

I just bought a 99 RX300 used. It seems to be well kept and she kept all service records for the vehicle. It has a couple of issues that I am not sure how to go about fixing....

1. The driver door lock does not work with the remote key? Any idea how to fix this? All others work fine.

2. When the lights are set to the auto setting they do not turn off. Thought it may have something to do with the drivers door not working but not sure.

Anyone have any idea on these two issues?

If you also can't operate the door lock with the inside electrical switch the problem may be the actuator. Here is a thread on that: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41219&hl=

Yes, it is possible that the headlights are not turning off due to the door lock issue.

The headlight auto setting is great for turning the headlights on and off as lighting conditions change but I found that it tends to run the batteries down in our Toyota and Lexus cars when the cars are left sitting for more than a couple of days. Because of that, we turn the headlight switches to the off position when we park the cars.

If you also can't operate the door lock with the inside electrical switch the problem may be the actuator. Here is a thread on that: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41219&hl=

Yes, it is possible that the headlights are not turning off due to the door lock issue.

The headlight auto setting is great for turning the headlights on and off as lighting conditions change but I found that it tends to run the batteries down in our Toyota and Lexus cars when the cars are left sitting for more than a couple of days. Because of that, we turn the headlight switches to the off position when we park the cars.

Is it because the auto off headlight switch is part of the logic in turning the lights to off?

I just bought a 99 RX300 used. It seems to be well kept and she kept all service records for the vehicle. It has a couple of issues that I am not sure how to go about fixing....

1. The driver door lock does not work with the remote key? Any idea how to fix this? All others work fine.

2. When the lights are set to the auto setting they do not turn off. Thought it may have something to do with the drivers door not working but not sure.

HEADS-UP!!!

The '99 and '00 RX300 models are incurring an unusually high level of premature transaxle failures, F/awd models especially so, it seems.

A new ATF line pressure control technique was adopted with the introduction of the early RX300. There was an inadvertent, unforeseen design FLAW with the use of this new system that was not satisfactorily addressed until the RX330 series adopted DBW.

As an interim fix the '01 and after RX300 models always came with towing option, additional ATF cooling, a less (a LOT less)functional VC (Viscous Clutch), and the mechanical rear LSD option was dropped.

HEADS-UP!!!

The '99 and '00 RX300 models are incurring an unusually high level of premature transaxle failures, F/awd models especially so, it seems.

A new ATF line pressure control technique was adopted with the introduction of the early RX300. There was an inadvertent, unforeseen design FLAW with the use of this new system that was not satisfactorily addressed until the RX330 series adopted DBW.

As an interim fix the '01 and after RX300 models always came with towing option, additional ATF cooling, a less (a LOT less)functional VC (Viscous Clutch), and the mechanical rear LSD option was dropped.

Jaswood, what is the reference for the information that you have supplied? I would be very interested in reading that.

HEADS-UP!!!

If you cannot open the driver-side door with the remote control,

you will more than likely have to replace the actuator. Just paid

Tires Plus a little over $400.00 to fix the same problem on my

04 LS 430. The Lexus dealer wanted to charge me over $1,200.00 for

the same repair.

Muddywaters

HEADS-UP!!!

Jaswood, what is the reference for the information that you have supplied? I would be very interested in reading that.

The "abolition" of the old ATF line pressure control system is documented in the online factory repair manuals, etc, for the '99.

If that is not the subject you questioned then what/which.

The "abolition" of the old ATF line pressure control system is documented in the online factory repair manuals, etc, for the '99.

If that is not the subject you questioned then what/which.

That's what I was asking . Thanks!