98-00 Sc400 Catback Exhaust

safire

:huh: Yes, I did a search and this subject seems to be beat up very badly, but with no real answers. I have a 99 SC400 and would love to know of a good aftermarket catback that will work for this car. My goal is a little more power and hopefully a little better MPG. I would like to add a K&N panel filter, SAFCII, and catback exhaust sytem. Let me know if this setup has worked or will work on a 99 SC400. I am a newbie to the lexus modding game. I have modded many cars in my day and this has to be one of the hardest "sport coupes" to find parts for. Even the Soarer parts tend to be made for the 2.5 and 3.0 engines. Please help me with some good info.

thanks

The Lexusgonewild site is cool. You won't find too many cat-backs, since Magnaflow and I think Borla are the only ones state-side.

BTW: when you upgrade your exhaust and your intake, you're not going to save any fuel. You're forgetting, more BHP and torque--meaning greater air-fuel ratio, the less likely you're going to save fuel. Same with forced-air-induction.

Is the Borla exhaust any good for our cars? I know on domestic vehicles Borla exhausts are top notch. On the MPG side I was hoping the intake and exhaust would help it breathe better and the SAFCII would lean it out and hopefully get better MPG or atleast the same. Again, I am just hoping for more power and MPG and I know you cant have both at the exact same time. I always thought putting on a free flow airfilter leaned out the air/fuel mixture. Maybe tuning it on a dyno will yeild better results.

Who knows maybe I will just get 18's and call it quits, but that has never been like me. Thanks for the help, and keep it coming!!

as for the K&N air filter, there is a post somewhere (it may actually be on the australian soarer site--i'll try to find it) that compares flow through various filters and found that you really couldn't beat the toyota filters. there is a TRD filter that will fit our cars as well that was supposedly superior

thanks for the help lexual, usf3, and joedoc. I have been doing more research based on some of the things you guys have said. Tell me if I am wrong please.

1. Stick with the stock filter, just change it every 10-15,000 miles to keep it flowing well.

2. The Borla is only axel back although many places advertice it as catback. The Greddy MX I think is one of the only catback sytems(that is easy to get a hold of), but requires some bracket of sorts to make it fit the SC400.

3. The SAFCII seems to be a bad choice for the SC400. Is there any chip/air-fuel computer/piggy back system that will work on the SC400(99) that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Again, thanks for the help. I do not want to mess up the niceness of the car. I would like to add some HP if possible($800 for 2 HP is not reasonable though). If not possible to add much HP then I will just buy some nice rims and lower 1" with the eibach's. Hopefully the car will still drive like a Lexus.

Thanks for all the help and am looking forward to hearing from you guys!!

are you familiar with the BFI intake mod? i think that is probably your cheapest bet for increased horses. and i would go with a toyota or TRD air filter (i just threw away my K&N and went back to a toyota filter----too lazy to clean it)

I think i have seen the same article joedoc has, it says with the BFI intake mod and the TRD filter you can double air flow, there is also a guy in austrilia making and selling are really cheap cold air to run up to the bfi

I have read of the BFI intake but only from some threads on here. I do not know what it is all about, or what the B F I stand for. Will this mod work on a 99 SC400. The reason I ask is because almost all mods are made for any year SC300 and second is the 92-95 SC400. There seems to be nothing that will fit this baby.

I was under the impresion that on a stock car, when you add a free flow air intake, the airfuel ratio will be a little more on the lean side and you will increase HP under load and increase MPG off throttle/highway cruising.

try this link for info on the BFI (which stands for "big freaking intake" or some variation of that). it involves opening up the air box to get better air flow. some variations of BFI involve channelling air from the grill to try to get a cold ram air effect. on my 92 sc400, there is a big open area in front of the air box (under the headlight) which opens through the grill and really allows free air flow without any fancy duct work. all i did was remove the snorkel and drill some openings in the air box, then cover with a piece of heavy plastic.

http://planetsoarer.com/#BFI

OK I give up :chairshot: . There are no parts for my car. Maybe I can save some money and just put awesome fluids in my car to keep it running in top shape. One day maybe I will invest in a torque converter and LSD to go along with some 18's. This alone should set me back about $4,000 or so ;) .Thanks for the help guys.

If I have the time this weekend, I'm going to be redoing my exhaust.

I plan on taking everything behind the 3rd catalytic converter off and replacing with a Y-Pipe splitting into 2.5" pipes that will run straight back to my MagnaFlow 14829 Mufflers.

I've heard this setup on an SC400 and it sounds amazing.

The mufflers can be obtained for about $250 for the pair, and the piping can be redone at a local muffler shop for another $200-300

So for the price of the Borlas(just mufflers), you could have a completely redone system which breathes much better.

I'll let you guys know how my install goes so you can decided whether this is something you'd be interested in.