Why Does It Beep!?

pj8708

Dedicated Member

30-November 09 Gender:Male Car Model:2010 ES 350

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

This question is a little different. This morning I opened the passenger front door for my wife and shut it after she was in. (The keys were in my pocket the whole time.) As soon as I started walking around the car to the drivers side the car beeped 3 times and then stopped before I got in the drivers seat.

Same thing but this time, I opened the trunk, put in the groceries, closed the trunk lid, and the car beeped the same 3 times as I was walking around to the drivers door. Again, FOB was in my pocket. Any ideas as to the purpose of these beeps?

Paul

2010 - ES350

I noticed these "beeps" when checking out the smart key system on a new Camry a family member just bought. Don't know either...but my only guess would be to remind you that you are walking away from the running car with the keys in your pocket! Was yours running when you heard the beeps?

I noticed these "beeps" when checking out the smart key system on a new Camry a family member just bought. Don't know either...but my only guess would be to remind you that you are walking away from the running car with the keys in your pocket! Was yours running when you heard the beeps?

Good question, but no, I hadn't started the car yet. ?

I am going to take a stab at this one. I think it is a reminder tone...kind of like when you leave your keys in the ignition...(old fashioned have to use the key to start the car) :) Anyway...I don't think that the car can determine if the keys are still in the car or not so it beeps to remind you that they are still in there? Once you are out of the car or clear of the distance that would allow you to unlock lock the car or start it then you are good! This is my best guess from what mine does? It may be or may not be right but it kind of makes sense? :rolleyes:

By the way...let me just tell you how dam...n annoying keys are! Jesh...who would have thought how inconvenient it is to have to put keys in a car. Our X5 is used for most family outings! It is a 06 and you have to hit the lock/unlock and use the key to start the car...I am just spoiled by the keyless technology it is so much of a PIA to have to get the keys out. Gosh I am getting LAZY! :) :lol::cheers:

I am going to take a stab at this one. I think it is a reminder tone...kind of like when you leave your keys in the ignition...(old fashioned have to use the key to start the car) :) Anyway...I don't think that the car can determine if the keys are still in the car or not so it beeps to remind you that they are still in there? Once you are out of the car or clear of the distance that would allow you to unlock lock the car or start it then you are good! This is my best guess from what mine does? It may be or may not be right but it kind of makes sense? :rolleyes:

By the way...let me just tell you how dam...n annoying keys are! Jesh...who would have thought how inconvenient it is to have to put keys in a car. Our X5 is used for most family outings! It is a 06 and you have to hit the lock/unlock and use the key to start the car...I am just spoiled by the keyless technology it is so much of a PIA to have to get the keys out. Gosh I am getting LAZY! :) :lol::cheers:

I can see your point. However, in this case, it was the first thing in the morning, the car had never been started, the "keys"/FOB had never been inside the car. And the car had not been locked over night, so the FOB had not been used to unlock the doors.

I think If we can't figure it out, I'll go to the dealer just for fun and ask them. I bet they don't know either!

As for the Key-keyless issue...count me in your column! I love just leaving my FOB in my pocket and walking up to the car and voila, it opens. Same with starting. So easy. My wife's 07', S80-Volvo has an FOB that must be inserted in a slot first (it has to be seated just right) and then you depress the brake and push the start button. This sequence is a major PIA. I too am Spoiled.

Right Paul but you opened a door and closed it with the key still near the car so it "could" have been left in the car? That is the same thing with the trunk too.

Right Paul but you opened a door and closed it with the key still near the car so it "could" have been left in the car? That is the same thing with the trunk too.

That IS a strong possiblility. For kicks, I am going to go to the dealer on Monday and double check our assumptions.

It really does p..s me off when your right.LOL

Oh don't worry You'll get used to it! :lol: seriously though I am just guessing.

I honestly don't even pay attention to the beeps at all...other than the seatbelt beep that drives me nuts. I always wear my seat belt but wow that could drive you crazy for sure.

Oh don't worry You'll get used to it! :lol: seriously though I am just guessing.

I honestly don't even pay attention to the beeps at all...other than the seatbelt beep that drives me nuts. I always wear my seat belt but wow that could drive you crazy for sure.

The one thing I've always wondered about, but have never tried, is if you have the car running and you get out and walk away, leaving the car running, and the FOB is in your pocket, the car door is unlocked, will it ever shut itself off as a security feature?

The one thing I've always wondered about, but have never tried, is if you have the car running and you get out and walk away, leaving the car running, and the FOB is in your pocket, the car door is unlocked, will it ever shut itself off as a security feature?

Don't think it will. Another thing is the fob won't allow you to lock the doors when the car is running. But you can take the key out of the fob and lock it.

• 10 years later...