2003 Es Navigation System

amf1932

My car was manufactured February 2003. yet the Nav's DVD version is 02.1.

This version probably means that the software was developed sometime in 2002.

The problem is as follows:

I tried to put in a name of a recent development on Long Island, NY and the unit can't find that name in the database. It seem's that when I use Mapquest to find the address there was absolutely NO problem. This has happened on many occasions using the NAV with areas that have been developed less than 5 years ago. I assumed that when I purchased this car that the NAV system would have the latest information in the listings......but NO it doesn't!

I was told by someone at my Lexus dealer I was entitled to 1 free upgrade, and after many discussions with my dealer and also the Lexus Corporation they told me they no longer do this and I'd have to pay over $325 for the new DVD.

I think this is a ripoff considering that I spent BIG bucks to have this option when I bought this car.

Question: Do we as owners have any recourse in this type situation or do we just sit back and let the Lexus Corporation do as they please?

I haven't given up this fight yet, and I'll add to this post when I get some further info about this problem.

Since the new cars and the new updates both come out around October, each model year always has the older software. Example. 2003s come out in September 2002, Nav update for 2003 comes out October 2003 with the 2004 models. So the recent upgrade is actually from the year prior, we both have version 2002, version 2003 came out last October, version 2004 comes out this October.

I have heard of people getting the nav update for free by complaining that something is wrong with the nav system and having the disc comped under warranty.

Pretty much the best price on the disc is $250...

SW03ES,

I still don't understand this: If I try to input certain addresses and the NAV doesn't recognize it, isn't it true that there is something wrong? The house in question was built over 5 years ago!

Who manufactures this unit for Lexus?

If I send you a PM with the address I'm looking for, could you see if you can program this information into your NAV system? Thanks.

Who has this disc for $250?

www.lexus-parts.com has it for $250.

I'll check it out right now and post back. Thats the angle people are taking, that you purchased this unit for daily use, this is an address you use daily, it was build 5 years ago and your stance is that the system should read it, I've heard of people being successful with that.

Steve:

I sent you the address in question in a PM.......Did you get it and did you try entering that info into your NAV system?

Also: There seems to be a discrepancy between the 2 online merchants, but I don't know whether it makes a difference.

Lexus Toyota Mitsubishi lists the upgrade parts number as: 00230-DVD02-CY

and their price is $250

Sewell Lexus lists the upgrade part number as: 00230-DVD03-CYx

and their price is $288

I'll check this out tomorrow.

Nope, the system has no record of the street you listed.

As for the model numbers you'd have to call them because it appears that model number with the "02" is the 2002 version of the software, or the one we already have, notice its under 2002 ES300 which would have the 2001 software....

As a perfect example of why I'm so frustrated.....Put in the address I sent you to either, Mapquest or Yahoo Driving Directions and you'll come up with the exact directions. :angry:

This is NOT a new area, and as I said the house is at least 5 years old!

I don't want to upgrade unless I have some sort of guarantee that this will solve some of these problems.

I wouldn't care so much if this was an isolated incident, but when I traveled to areas around Minneapolis I had the same problems there also.

Update:

I went to my Lexus dealer this morning and spoke to the Service Manager about this problem. He put on a NAV mechanic to check out my system. I showed him the printouts from Mapquest & Yahoo. He tried inputting the address in question with no luck. At this point he got the new DVD disc and put it in. Sure enough when he inputted the address it was now there. He told me the disc price was $350, and after moaning & groaning to the Service Manager he finally agreed to give it to me for $250 plus tax.

I'm still a little peeved and will now call Lexus Customer Satisfaction and tell them the story. Of course they'll probably do nothing about it. :angry:

Further Update:

I just spoke to Lexus Customer Satisfaction who in turn spoke to my dealers Service Manager while I waited on hold. They decided to send me a credit of $250 that I can use for any type of service or repair. They wouldn't credit me for the disc though. I guess I should be satisfied now. :rolleyes:

I just found us discs for under $200! Oh well lol glad it worked out for you.

Is that a genuine Lexus disc, because I was told that the wholesale price to dealers is $250.

Even though I made a good deal with Lexus on this purchase, I still feel that the first update disc should be gratis.

Example: If a prospective purchaser of a new Lexus buys a car in September he/she would have to pay for this update within a month of buying this car, since they release the updates around October. That's very unfair in my estimation. <_<

Yep, I dont know why its so cheap lol maybe its stolen :o

I totally agree that its unfair. I mean, really, that option costs $5,000 whats a dumb update disk if it makes the customer feel cared for?

IMO this new "customer is on their own" departure for Lexus won't turn out well...

Alan, kudos to you on your persistance and patience. It paid off.

Steve, your should do exactly as Alan did and go get your copy and $250 worth of service compted.

steviej

Again, this is why I don't go for the NAV systems......besides everyone always tells me where to go. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Been following your messages with interest. I have an ES300 2002 model and my dealer wants $350 to update my Nav. system. I think its robbery. Can you tell me where you found the DVD for under $200? And does anyone know how to change the DVD in my model? (I'm a new member, hope I did this right)

You can get the newest DVD here for $288.00 DVD

It's a very simple thing to change it. Just pull off the cover(towards you). You need to tug it firmly. After the cover is off, you'll see an eject button. Press this button and the DVD should eject. Take the new DVD and feed it into the slot(the same way you would put a CD into a single CD player). The computer will automatically upgrade all the new information. Replace the plastic cover, and you're all set.

If you look on ebay there's a woman that is constantly selling them. The price varies anywhere from $150 to $225 depending on demand at that particular time. If you email her and ask to buy one direct she'll sell it for $200, which is absolutely the best deal you will find ANYWHERE. You might be able to save more if you bid on it, but thats taking a chance.

If I were you I would wait until October when the 2004 disk comes out then buy the 2003 disk, its two years newer and it'll be REALLY cheap when its no longer the lastest disk. Thats what I'm going to do. You can search for the 2002 disk (what I have, the disks are a year behind, you have series 2001) and see the prices, they go for like $40 because they're not the latest.

Listen gals and guys, this is an important feature to me and it is just not working worth a hoot on my 2004 ES330. How do we go about getting a fairly permanent TOPIC where we can give some feedback to Lexus about it?

To me it is unhandy and obscure software with instructions that should be written by someone who knows our languages and our expectations in software. I want desperately to use it as a way to avoid having to use printed maps, AND IT JUST WILL NOT COMPLY with anything except a single destination.

After I get back from a mandatory trip I believe I will challenge the dealer to reset and then attempt to set a route like the one I have had to plot in my desktop computer. Either they can do it or they cannot do it. I sure would like to see them while they are ATTEMPTING it.

Back to the original idea. How do we go about getting a TOPIC setup and sending some feedback to the company?

Listen gals and guys, this is an important feature to me and it is just not working worth a hoot on my 2004 ES330. How do we go about getting a fairly permanent TOPIC where we can give some feedback to Lexus about it?

Back to the original idea. How do we go about getting a TOPIC setup and sending some feedback to the company?

your concern is very valid.

3 ways to get it to Lexus.

1. like you are doing....take it to your dealer and have them try to do it in front of you. If they can't recreate exactly what you can/cannot do then have them write it up as a customer concern/dissatisfaction.

2. go to www.lexus.com, register as an owner, then omplete the complaint/question section. your complaint will be logged with a reference number and a reply will be given within a couple of business days.

3. call 1-800-25-LEXUS, press the button for customer service (I think it is option 4, but I haven't done this route in a while). Discuss you exact problem with a customer service rep, they will then write it up as a problem.

good luck,

steviej