If I Use Clay To Remove Surface Stuff...

prix

Hi All -- I've been reading up in the detail forum, as I'd like to give some TLC to my car before long. I've never used a clay bar in cleaning, but it sounds great and I want to try it. Question: If I use the clay bar to remove any surface corrosion, do I still need to use a paintwork cleanser prior to waxing? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

This is a follow-up to my original post. I e-mailed support at the lexuscare site and they said each product -- clay v. cleanser -- will do similar things (prepare your car for waxing) but by different methods. With clay, the 'grab' of surface contaminants is manual, and with the cleansers, the stuff is removed with chemical loosening (as opposed to manual labor). Definitely will go with the clay bar, as it will do a better job. No need to use both.

If your paint is in exceptional conditions (little to no swirls, zero oxidation, no hairline scratches etc) then by all means do save time and just use the clay. Although, if your car is in need of claying then it is highly likely that your paint has other imperfections that the clay will not remove.

As far as I know, no clay bar that I've used ever removed swirls or fine scratches from the car. I always had to follow the clay procedure with a heavy duty paint cleaner. Just in my experience, though.

The only way to know for sure is, after you clay the car inspect it thoroughly under good lighting. If there are any swirls or scratches, hit it with a heavy duty abrasive cleaner polish.

The difference is clay removes imbedded contaminants, thats all. It doesn't do anything to remove or fill swirls or scratches or increase gloss. If the paint is perfect then you wouldn't need a polish unless you wanted the best look possible.

I'll have to look into that advice they gave you because its not correct. Clay and polish accomplish totally different things. Clay will remove embedded contaminants and polish will remove surface marring. Its like saying a cleaner like Mr Clean and a floor wax do the same thing when in reality they don't.

If you clay then use a good hand polish the car will look much better.

Quote: Definitely will go with the clay bar, as it will do a better job. No need to use both.

~One mans opinion / observation~

I don’t know wether they misunderstood the question or you didn’t understand their answer, but as SWO3ES rightly points out the normal ‘order’ is;

Wash – Detailer’s Clay – Polish (or Pre-Wax Cleaner) –Sealant and/ or Wax

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

• 4 weeks later...

Suggest you go to www.zainobros.com and research their products (which include claybars) as well as their instructions. After applying wax and polishes for a good 50 years in overlapping circles, I found out I'd been doing it wrong all these years. Sal Zaino has some really good advice; and Zaino Car Care products are fantastic.

I've used the Zaino claybar and REALLY didn't like it, not nearly as easy to use as the Claymagic bar IMHO.

Zaino products are good but they have 4 Failings:

1. They MAGNIFY swirl marks and surface abrasions. The Z5 swirl remover doesn't do much to hide the swirls. You have to be VERY careful to remove all surface marring first if you want the best results.

2. The shine is "plasticky". Zaino has a LOT of gloss, but not a lot of depth like a carnuaba does. There are full polymers out now like Meguiars NXT, Wolfgang, and Poorboys EX-P that artificially create depth. Not a big deal on a light color or white, but IMHO it masks a lot of the natural beauty of a deep dark color.

3. They're tricky to use. Zaino needs a completely pure surface on which to bond. In order to get a surface like that you have to be careful to remove all oils from the surface.

4. Its just plain EXPENSIVE. But a little goes a long way.

I used to be an avid Zaino user, but now I've switched to different kinds of sealants, carnuaba sealant hybrids, and carnuaba waxes and have no desire to go back to Zaino.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I’ve been an avid Zanio user for many years, although I don’t care for their Detailers Clay Z18, Clay Magic is a much better product.

IMO Wolfgang Paint Sealant products or Meguiar’s NXT Tech Wax are easier to use, less expensive and give comparable results to Zanio’s products.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

• 3 weeks later...