Timing Belt And Water Pump Service

CBUM

I am getting ready to do the timing belt service and have been told to be sure to use OEM parts. Have found different parts online that say OEM parts. How do I tell what is actually OEM parts? Or what brand is OEM? Any input is welcome. Thanks CBUM

Here is one I have used in EBay great seller and all Items are OE manufacturors.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-RX300-Timing-Belt-WaterPump-Kit-RX-300-Tensioner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aRX300QQhashZitem2c5b183b0dQQitemZ190506875661QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Look at his part list and subtract or add depending on what you want to do...He has several listings with different configurations...or look at other sellers with these same parts ie Koyo, Mitusboshi, Aisin, etc...

Original Equipment Manufacturer is what OEM stands for. In other words, but Lexus parts especially for the important stuff. The interval was 90K for that service. I had a Lex Tech do it for me on the side for $505, including parts. The old parts looked incredible new. In fact, after seeing the old parts I was bummed that I did the job so soon. Oh well.

Original Equipment Manufacturer is what OEM stands for. In other words, but Lexus parts especially for the important stuff. The interval was 90K for that service. I had a Lex Tech do it for me on the side for $505, including parts. The old parts looked incredible new. In fact, after seeing the old parts I was bummed that I did the job so soon. Oh well.

I've done it, and that's the truth! Those parts will probably last 2 or 3 times as long as Lexus's recommendations. They are some of the best made parts I've ever seen, and that's from a lifetime of working on cars. I cut all those parts apart with a die grinder and 1/16 in. cut-off blade and they all looked new inside at almost 100k mi., except for the tensioner bearing being dry of grease, but there was still NO WEAR, just no grease. :)

Thank You all for the responses, I have found the parts on line and have ordered them. Am looking forward to getting this job takeen cre of, it is past time to do it. With a little help from my Grandson, a diesel mechanic, sould not take to long.

Thank You all for the responses, I have found the parts on line and have ordered them. Am looking forward to getting this job takeen cre of, it is past time to do it. With a little help from my Grandson, a diesel mechanic, sould not take to long.

When your Grandson pulls that jug of Delo 15-40 out and ready to pour, you better stop him! Tell him he better save that for a REAL diesel! :lol:

Same here did my timing belt at 90k, still brand spanking new. It was a complete waste. I order all my parts from Lexus to do the complete job. I ended up with a weird what sounded like a bad bearing noise. After many trips back to toyota where all was installed the replaced the OEM belt three times claimed it was the way the belt was riding on the cams.....the fourth time the used a gates belt from napa....no more noise worked great.

Same here did my timing belt at 90k, still brand spanking new. It was a complete waste. I order all my parts from Lexus to do the complete job. I ended up with a weird what sounded like a bad bearing noise. After many trips back to toyota where all was installed the replaced the OEM belt three times claimed it was the way the belt was riding on the cams.....the fourth time the used a gates belt from napa....no more noise worked great.

John, did you do all the work the 1st time and then have Lexus (Toyota) do it the other 3 (or 4) times when the noise wouldn't go away? When I replaced the Goodyear Gatorback TB that I had installed at 97k mi on my DIL's '99 RX (long story) with a new belt from Toyota at somewhere around 127k mi., I was not exactly thrilled that it was a US made belt, not Japanese made. I had no problem with it but still, as a rule, consider the Japanese made parts to be of more unquestionable quality. The way the belt was riding on the cams??? Sounds like they're used to coming up with some pretty good stories. By the way, though I have always thought Goodyear Gatorback was high quality, this belt was made somewhere in Africa in a place I couldn't even pronounce the name of. No more GG for me!. The world is filled with GARBAGE GOODS anymore so we all have to be vigilant. Even big names will set up a factory anywhere they can get help for $3. a day and the workers don't even know what they're building! :censored:

• 5 months later...

any good treads in here for the do-it-yourself timing belt and water pump change? I would love to save a bunch of money and do it myself. I did get a quote for $750 with new timing belt, h2o pump, serpentine belt, new radiator hoses and spark plugs, does that sound like a good deal? thanks

any good treads in here for the do-it-yourself timing belt and water pump change? I would love to save a bunch of money and do it myself. I did get a quote for $750 with new timing belt, h2o pump, serpentine belt, new radiator hoses and spark plugs, does that sound like a good deal? thanks

that is an excellent price for all of that stuff. Make sure plugs are iridium, do not substitute....either Denso, or NGK

that is an excellent price for all of that stuff. Make sure plugs are iridium, do not substitute....either Denso, or NGK

Thanks, I will make sure they use good iridium plugs, i just watched a video on hanging timing belt ans h2o pump, its a big job, I think I will let the mechanic do it, thanks again,...kimo

Thanks, I will make sure they use good iridium plugs, i just watched a video on hanging timing belt ans h2o pump, its a big job, I think I will let the mechanic do it, thanks again,...kimo

As Thomas stated, use IRIDIUM plugs, not just any iridium, but NGK or Denso iridium. They are origimnal equipment for T/L and the best that there is, that's the reason they use 'em! Don't let the mechanic tell you all Iridiums are alike, ONLY NGK or Denso! As thomas said, that IS an excellent price! But use ONLY OEM parts!!! Those of us who have done the work know why! Aftermarket are NOT equal quality.