Vibrating Steering Wheel At 60 Miles And More!

I own a 2000 Lexus ES300 125k miles. My steering wheel vibrates when I hit about 60 miles or more. I do know that the owner put wrong tires on the car which are pretty worn on the inside (size 55 instead of 60).

The vibrartions while driving are 99% always when I am driving straight on the highway. The moment I turn the wheel to either direction it stops almost immediately.

Any advice? New tires, blancing, and alignment? Tighten the steering? Check the steering column for any defects?

I own a 2000 Lexus ES300 125k miles. My steering wheel vibrates when I hit about 60 miles or more. I do know that the owner put wrong tires on the car which are pretty worn on the inside (size 55 instead of 60).

The vibrartions while driving are 99% always when I am driving straight on the highway. The moment I turn the wheel to either direction it stops almost immediately.

Any advice? New tires, blancing, and alignment? Tighten the steering? Check the steering column for any defects?

What you described sounds to me like a good candidate for a wheels alignment. I would also consider a balancing of the tires as a second choice. If there is little thread left on your tires, you might want to buy new tires, which will give you a balancing at the same time. But I still would check the alignment.

Tires that do not wear evenly indicates that they are either under-inflated or over-inflated. A bad alignment will also cause that. As a last resort, I would have the steering column checked. Unless you notice a loss of power steering liquid, then it should be the first thing to do.

I had a slight Vibration on my steering wheel a week ago. My front Shock absorber and front engine mount lower were replaced a year ago. Inspected front suspension for worn out bushings and rodend bearing on rack pinion assy. Last week replaced worn out tire size 205/60R-16 92V (V Rated) Goodyear Eagle GT at Discount Tire $585.00 included balance and alignment. Sweet drive on the highway and wife is happy again! :rolleyes:

Happy to say the vibration is gone after replacing all 4 tires with 4 x 205/60/R16 Firestone Firehawk GT H, buy 3 get 1 free deal, which ends this month, April 2011. Wheels were spin balanced, alignment was also done. The read-out of the alignment showed that my car was not too bad. My guess is that the tires needed to be replaced abd balanced. My suggestion would be that unless you feel the car shifting lanes too badly to get your wheels balanced first before also getting an alignment.

Happy to say the vibration is gone after replacing all 4 tires with 4 x 205/60/R16 Firestone Firehawk GT H, buy 3 get 1 free deal, which ends this month, April 2011. Wheels were spin balanced, alignment was also done. The read-out of the alignment showed that my car was not too bad. My guess is that the tires needed to be replaced abd balanced. My suggestion would be that unless you feel the car shifting lanes too badly to get your wheels balanced first before also getting an alignment.

I'm glad you solved your problem. I guess you were due for new tires.

• 3 weeks later...

I experience this same 60+ mph vibration felt noticeably in the steering wheel. Tires are in great shape. I have not had an alignment in some time, so I suppose that is something I can try.....but wouldn't you feel an alignment issue all the time, and not just at speed? Are there any steering/suspension components I should take a look at? I.e., any susceptible to wear/breakage and could cause this type of vibration? LS is 12 years old, but only 80,000 miles on the odometer.

• 3 weeks later...

An alignment problem won't cause vibrarion issues. A vibration in the steering wheel at certain speed is a dead giveaway that you have a tire out of balance. There was no need for you to replace your tires (unless the wear necessitated it). When they put the new tires on they were also balanced so that would have corrected it.