Rattling Noise On Front Wheels Or Struts 2000 Lexus Es300

I own a 2000 Lexus ES300, 125k miles. For a while now I have noticed a rattling noise near the front wheels which sometimes goes away after driving for a while, sometimes is does not. The sound first sounded to me like there was an empty Coke can stuck in some empty space above the wheel that was shaking around.

Did some research, answers so far were strut mounts, sway bar bushings, control arm bearings, and shocks. There was a TSP in 1999 for the re-design of the rubber bushing shape. I replaced the sway bar bushings, cheapest fix, no change.

Questions - does anyone have any advice on this isse? Is there a way telling if I have the newly designed strut mounts or the old one's without removing the whole assembly? Any diagnostic advice to locate the problem?

When I replaced my Strut Shocks last year. I did not replace the top mount strut. And it did sound like empty coke can when I went over a pot hole or humps on the right side. Replaced right side top strut mount and stut mate (rubber). Fix completed check good.

Hi lexlogic, sounds like I could have a similar problem like you had. It is worse on the passenger side but I do have it on both sides. Question - can you tell me exactly what parts you had replaced? I assume it is not the engine mount, is it the the anchor (very top of strut assembly that is fastened with three screws and comes with a metal bearing) or the rubber ring? Not to get too technical, but do you know what exactly causes that noise? metal clacking on metal due to worn out rubber?

Hi lexlogic, sounds like I could have a similar problem like you had. It is worse on the passenger side but I do have it on both sides. Question - can you tell me exactly what parts you had replaced? I assume it is not the engine mount, is it the the anchor (very top of strut assembly that is fastened with three screws and comes with a metal bearing) or the rubber ring? Not to get too technical, but do you know what exactly causes that noise? metal clacking on metal due to worn out rubber?

Yes that is the part...YOU will have to take the entire strut out and compress the spring to replace it.

Great, thanks. I stopped by the nearest Lexus dealership today to inquire about the problem and parts. The service desk guy suggested new strut caps and bearings, apparently it is the bearings that are worn out and make that sound. Strut cap? I know there is a cover to protect the strut assembly from dirt and dust (Lexus parts 4850B and 48590A) but I do not have those on my vehicle. I also thought those are usually only on the rear struts? Maybe someone has an answer to this one.

The parts are very expensive, the set of bearings alone are $145.00. Will check online for either cheaper OEM or aftermarket parts.

The strut mount and bearing - I wonder if both have to be replaced? Are they considered a set? Since the rattling seems to come from the bearing why not only replace the bearing?

The bearings generally are just fine...The rubber in the strut mount is what goes bad. I know Napa sells the bearing and strut mount for around $80 but Rock Auto.com is cheaper...or try one of the online lexus parts dealers like Sewell. Join their log on and they give you a discount if you give your club and name on the club...You will see the discount price when posting it.here is one listing I have used recently....see item 48603

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=ES300&year=2000&catalogCode=284460&VAID=2273,2274,2275,2276&selectConditions=(7=USA)&originCountry=(7=USA)&goBack=false&sectionID=2&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=48-03&componentsIndex=31

That is the strut mount for one side...There is a left and right side for the parts...The bearings are good for either side...I have taken these off and just greased the bearings and put back together.

The bearings generally are just fine...The rubber in the strut mount is what goes bad. I know Napa sells the bearing and strut mount for around $80 but Rock Auto.com is cheaper...or try one of the online lexus parts dealers like Sewell. Join their log on and they give you a discount if you give your club and name on the club...You will see the discount price when posting it.here is one listing I have used recently....see item 48603

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=ES300&year=2000&catalogCode=284460&VAID=2273,2274,2275,2276&selectConditions=(7=USA)&originCountry=(7=USA)&goBack=false&sectionID=2&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=48-03&componentsIndex=31

That is the strut mount for one side...There is a left and right side for the parts...The bearings are good for either side...I have taken these off and just greased the bearings and put back together.

Yes, that was the Part 48603 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, RH and 48331B BUMPER, FRONT SPRING, RH. I got those parts from Sun Rising Auto part (local store) Rockauto.com is a great place to shop, I got two Shock sensors from them for this Lexus ES300 (this job took me 6-9 hours).

Thanks for the input! Will also check on E-Bay. So general advice is that the bearings are usually good and can be re-greased? I have never seen a strut mount, but I am assuming that the interior holds some type of rubber bedding that hosts the bearing and either shrinks or simply wears out. Once the rubber has deteriorated then the bearing will come in contact with metal and rattle around. The rubber part is also attached to the metal mount, hence the whole part has to be replaced since the rubber and metal upper are not separate components. Is this about right? Or is the bearing itdelf that rattles?

I just looked at a drawing of the complete strut and shock assembly. The strut mount appears to be parts 48603 (RH) and 48609 (LH) on my ES300. The bearings are 90903-63014 (x2). What about the components below - 48471B (RH) and 48471C (LH)? Are these metal or rubber? Could the rattling also come from those 2 items being deteriorated?

• 7 months later...

Hi ml30306,

I might be having a similar issue, i was wondering how far you got and if you did replace the strut mounts did that solve your problem..?

i will go to my mechanic soon (And replace the sway bar bushings anyway and check the strength of the brake calipers,etc) ...not sure yet what it is on my 97 es300