Has Anyone Gone From A Diff Model To An Is?

I currently drive an 07ES350, but im considering purchasing an IS250. I would like to hear the experience of anyone that has gone from one Lexus model to the IS. Do you regret it? What would you say are the pros and cons of your switch? Do you regret it? Are the rear seats as small as i read they are? Thanks in advance for any answers.

I have an ES and have driven an IS more than once, and the "bulge" or hump that protrudes into the drivers right leg is really uncomfortable. It diminishes the drivers leg room by quite a bit.

What is your reasoning for wanting to switch into an IS from an ES?

Other than saving money, I can't see why anyone would want to go from an ES350 to IS250. Maybe an IS350, but there isn't much the IS250 has over the ES350, besides AWD which some IS250's have.

The ES350 has much better performance also... My cousin had no idea the IS250 was so slow, in fact it's actually slower than the Rx350.

But other than that, the IS250 is a very reliable car. My only concerns are with the lack of leg room in the rear- it's BAD... Even with the front seats moved up a bit, it's uncomfortable for passengers in the rear.

The bulge is only on the AWD. THe back seat is only big enough for kids, although my son is 5'11" and he fits if the passenger seat is moved forward. While the ES350 is more powerful than the IS250, it does not have, in my opinion, better "performance." It is front wheel drive, and all the power tries to put you in the ditch to the right side of the road when you hit the gas. I HATED driving the ES, and it confirmed for me that I will only have RWD cars from now on. The IS will drive a little stiffer than the ES. You need to decide what you want. A comfortable ride and plenty of leg room, or do you want performance and better handling. With a few cheap upgrades, an IS is a much, much more fun car to drive than the ES. After driving the ES for 2 weeks while my car was in the shop, I have decided that the only Lexus cars I will drive are the IS or GS. Possible the LS, but that won't be for many years as I am not that old yet!

LOL!!...aren't you sorry you asked for others opinions? LOL. Now it's down to your either too young or too old for a particular car.

I've got an idea that works every time. Consider every ones advice carefully. Drive the car overnight. Then, chuck all the advice and buy the one that YOU like! We are not the one driving it or PAYING for it. You'll never regret it. Even if your too young for it, or too old.

Paul

Thanks again for the advice guys. I dropped off my car this morning for an oil change and asked if I could have an IS as a loaner for the day. I've had it for abou 7 hours and although it's a fun car to drive, I prefer the ES as it is a much more comfortable and plush ride. The one option I did enjoy was the Mark Levinson audio system. I never gave that a second thought when I purchased my ES but WHOA! What a difference! My next Lexus will definitely have that option. Thanks again for all that shared their thoughts.

06-11 IS250 does 0-60 in about 7.5 - 7.7 seconds

07-11 ES350 does 0-60 in about 6.4 - 6.9 seconds

For comparison, the 07-09 Rx350 does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, and the 06-08 Rx400h (hybrid) does it in about 7.2 seconds.

The 07-11 ES350 is VERY quick.

Yes, comparing a 3.5L to a 2.5L is going to be unfair every time. I came from a pickup truck, so the IS250 is plenty quick for me. I just make sure I never drive my friend's 350. Glad you were able to make the decision. As I said, the plush ride is something that alot of people go to Lexus for. I love the IS for the handling, but you do sacrifice ride quality.

I had a 2007 IS250 that was totaled. I test drove a IS350 and a 250. I love the IS model A LOT!! I test drove a couple of bmws, benz, and a porsche. I can only say that the porsche could be the only other I would drive other than the IS. I also had a 99 RX300 as a weekend/whenever vehicle. It was nice when I needed the extra space....like 4 people in a car. I usually never have anyone sit in the back any way. My old 07 IS250 was giving me about 28mpg mixed driving around town....so I stuck with what I knew, I have my sporty ride, yeah less power, but the gas mileage is still as good!

The IS and the ES are about as different as two sedans can be. What do they have in common? They have 4 doors and are made by Lexus, thats about it.

The ES is physically faster from a stop, but performance wise the IS runs circles around the ES in every other area. Its RWD/rear biased AWD setup, stiffer springs and suspension damping, more neutral wight distribution are all VERY apparent when driving down any sort of curvy road or when driving aggressively.

The ES is a boulevard cruiser, the IS is a sports sedan.

Would you want to switch from an ES to an IS? Drive an IS extensively and see. I have driven IS250s many times as dealer loaners, and while I would never buy one myself because they're too small for me, and I prefer a boulevard cruiser type car, they are a lot of fun to drive. The IS rides very stiff compared to the ES IMHO, but its supposed to. The 250 isn't quick...but it has plenty of power for everyday use. You could get an IS350...but you could almost get a GS when the options are all added to the IS350. The GS would only be $1500 or so more...

If you don't like the ES...you won't like the LS. They drive very similarly. The LS has the benefit of being RWD, which I too prefer, but you really can't tell the difference unless you're pushing the car...and the car isn't designed to be pushed.

Perhaps the GS would be a better compromise if the budget allows it, still smaller than the ES but not as much so as the IS, still stiffer than the ES but not as much so as the IS. I really like the current GS. Maybe even consider a GS a couple years old vs a new IS.

Or, if you've got the coin to buy a new GS...I'd buy an Infiniti M37 instead myself. I've already decided my next car will be that class, the GS, M, E Class, 5 series...etc.

Sdubb, you rock! Thanks for your input, it's always appreciated. I test drove an IS350 last weekend and it is a fun car. My issue now is that the 350 only comes in RWD. I live in Maryland, where the winters can be unpredictable and from what I hear RWD vehicles suck in the snow..

I test drove the GS when I bought my current car, but I thought that it was too heavy. Ive owned all ES models so far and although I love it, Im ready to drive something a little more fun with some kick to it.

Are you looking new or used? Because the IS350 comes in AWD now.

As for snow, where in MD do you live? The RWD is going to suck in the snow, but around where I live in MD I wouldn't be worried about getting a RWD car.