Cleaning Leather Seats

Django44

What is the best method and cleaners to use when cleaning the semi-aniline leather in an Ultra-Luxury model? Is there anything I should avoid?

The only SAFE and WORRY free way to clean your leather is to use a professional detailer. Others will tell you to use certain cleaners and home made concoctions, and that is fine. As long as you know the chemical composition of every stain you will come across and how and at what rate it will or will not absorb into your leather, and what chemical will conteract those chemicals without leaving it's own stain.

From my experience, I have made enough mistakes to have learned my lesson well. Most of the time, a detailer will only cost you from $25-$40. to remove and condition small areas. Are you going to ruin the seats of a $45,000 car over that?

One common problem on light colored leather seats in all car makes today is dye transfer from blue jeans. It usualy shows around the edge of the seat where you slide in and out of the car. I have read on the forum recently that this can not be removed. That is false. I stop by my detailer every couple of months, and he uses one of his cleaners to wipe it off. Charge?...$5.00.

Paul

I have black leather seats and clean them with regular diluted Zero Woolite soap in a spray bottle. Always clean properly before applying conditioner, i use Lexol glycerin, not oily and water soluble. I repeat 4 times a year. Leatherique is also a very good option, but i would use it for heavy cleaning and for old leather.

I got the blue dye transfer (from new blue jeans) on the leather driver's seat. I washed the jeans twice to prevent it, but that did not help.

I found some Leatherique (don't know when I purchased it) and it completely removed the dye. I tried other products (Sonus Leather Cleaner) and that got rid of 80% - 90%, but some of the blue was still visible.

I use Leatherique's "Leather Rejuvenator" and "Prestine Clean" and will NEVER go back to another cleaner and conditioner.

It's pricey but nothing i've tried works as well, and seems as gentle and aggressive at the same time.

One other problem I've run across that seems to have no solution, is the transfer of black dye from a leather jacket to the armrest. Specifically, on light colored leather interiors, the jackets sleeve for example, will transfer dye to the drivers armrest and it can not be removed. It is not a large deep stain, but it is there for sure. I have talked to two detailers, a leather clothes cleaner, and the folks at Leatherique cleaning products. The armrest has to be re-dyed. I have not done this, but my understanding is that it is not a big job. Many dealers will have these guys come to their stores and touch-up leather in pre owned cars. And no, it doesn't make any difference how expensive the jacket is.

Paul

I've read about people having a problems with the color from jeans transferring to light colored leather upholstery. Is this only with darker color designer-type jeams? I wear pre-washed jeans virtually all of the time, and prefer light color interiors and have never had it happen.

I use Leatherique's "Leather Rejuvenator" and "Prestine Clean" and will NEVER go back to another cleaner and conditioner.

It's pricey but nothing i've tried works as well, and seems as gentle and aggressive at the same time.

Plus 1 on the Leatheriques cleaner/conditioner...Man it just does a fantastic job...Planning on doing my Black leather soon...

I've read about people having a problems with the color from jeans transferring to light colored leather upholstery. Is this only with darker color designer-type jeams? I wear pre-washed jeans virtually all of the time, and prefer light color interiors and have never had it happen.

Using only my personal experience, it is the dark, deep color dyed jeans that are the worst, but the mid-color dyes can transfer a little as well. If you have been wearing pre-washed jeans with no troubles I certainly wouldn't stop. The stains are removable so don't be afraid of a light colored interior.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Don't clean them. Let them wear out & replace with Good Seats - Cloth.

Leather's Hot & Uncomfortable, so why keep them. Marketing has people fooled into believing that they are luxurious. They are CRAP!

• Like 1

Don't clean them. Let them wear out & replace with Good Seats - Cloth.

Leather's Hot & Uncomfortable, so why keep them. Marketing has people fooled into believing that they are luxurious. They are CRAP!

If you say so??? I will take leather seats over cloth any day!

I would like to share my leather seat problem with you all. My 2008 ES350 Ultra has a parchment interior and I noticed that there was a drop of oil on the passenger seat. I left it alone for several months because I was afraid that if I tried to clean it up, it would just spread and smear and look worse than just that one small drop. But, it drove me crazy. I wanted to cleaned up, so I tried Meguiar's One Step Leather care. I was super careful to just touch the drop with a cloth containing the cleaner. I did NOT rub the spot. I dabbed it carefully. Surprise, Surprise, after the second dab, the spot was gone. I do not know if you will get as good a result, but it is worth a try. Particularly if you are as careful as I was. B-T-W, I bought the Meguiars at Walmart.

• 5 months later...

Use the leather cleaner and conditioner from Lexus. Works great. The leather is going to get dirty from normal use, so you have to stay on top of it and check it often and clean if needed. Always follow of the conditioner. Always use a white micro fiber cloth. Using a lexus product to maintain your will keep it under warranty

• 6 months later...