Charcoal? Wood? Or Gas Grill?

ArmyofOne

So last night, the wife came home from sears with a surprise for me, a late birthday gift, I guess. She likes charcoal/wood, and I like gas, its the best of both worlds!I love having a truck, it enables my wife to go places and buy me large, expensive, and relatively kickass items, all by herself :D.

100_1104.JPG

Starting on assembly, Marv is always eager to help (err...uh...play).

100_1106.JPG

After shooing the dog, we have to start putting it together.

100_1107.JPG

With the aid of a friend, of course :D :

100_1110.JPG

Final assembly:

100_1111.JPG

Charcoal, wood and gas capable:

100_11121.JPG

All in all, great way to spend a saturday afternoon, and now after a 5 mile jog, I'm going to cook and mow down on some Mesquite Grilled Chicken.

Depends on what you like to grill, for me, if I'm grilling Del Monico Ribeyes, it has to be on a charcoal/wood grill, because you can stack the coals and get the grill super hot and give the steak a good searing. But when I grill in the hurry, and it's just BBQ chicken and stuff then the gas grill is better, especially for parties.

Here is the old grill in for cleanup:

100_1116.JPG

100_1115.JPG

As you can see it was BADLY wearing. The Burner hats were done. As soon as I touched them they started falling apart. This grill lasted 6 years, through many thousands of burgers and steaks (15 company Barbecue's) and being transported several times, once all the way across country. She served us well. I was cleaning it up to see if I could give it to my neighbor, but seeing this, I think it might be time to throw it out.

On to better news, a close up of the Gas and Charcoal/wood sections:

100_1114.JPG

^gas

100_1113.JPG

^charcoal/wood

as of last night, seems to be pretty durable.

OK, to all who are waiting, the big one is 24 oz top sirloin, the small one is 20 oz of the same:

100_1117_Medium_.JPG

^Marinated overnight in smooth hickory.

100_1118_Medium_.JPG

^wife likes hers well, so I started hers first. I am a medium-rare to medium kinda guy.

100_1119_Medium_.JPG

^mine (24 oz) almost done!

100_1121_Medium_.JPG

^plated and ready to eat! Complete with sauteed mushrooms/onions, pasta salad and a loaded baked potato!

and OMG it was so frickin good. First steak I have ever cooked that dissolved in my mouth before I could chew it. Oh and the flavor...do yourselves the favor and tenderize/marinate your steaks in the fridge the night before you cook 'em. Takes a bit of planning, but you will not regret it.