For Those That Want To Change Their Oil Diy On Es350

vadim2200

I noticed that many people online are asking questions about HOW TO CHANGE OIL ON LEXUS ES350? Well i noticed that there are no videos online about how to do it and many people are asking about where is the oil filter and how to change it and where to get SST (special service tool). To answare all of you question I posted youtube video so people wouldn't be so concerned about changing oil. Here it is

Thanks are welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like your wrench because it don't allow for the torque settings.

I use the K-D Tool #3253 - $9 at Amazon with free shipping, to remove & tighten the oil filter housing/canister. It accepts a 3/8 inch torque wrench. I don't recall the torque specs, but the torque is stamped on the housing. Also, my Wic filters include the torque specs. I think it's 25 lb for the housing and 15 lb for the drain-bolt.

post-57570-0-97968700-1304322648_thumb.j

• 10 months later...

Thanks. Informative video. What a strange oil change setup Lexus has. I have five vehicles and do all my own preventive maintenance after some of the blatant incompetence I've witnessed. Severe over torquing and stripping of oil pan drain plug threads, having to pound a screwdriver through filters to essentially tear them off from over torquing. Being short changed a quart of oil a lot! Oil change done, but they don't change the filter you pay for. If I'm in a time crunch, and have to pay to have it done, I put a mark on the filter to see if they just clean it up and try to pass it off as new. I make sure nothing is over torqued, and I shut car off and wait a few minutes to check my oil, and virtually ALWAYS tell them to add a half or full quart. Plus not getting a good drain of old oil. Soon as it stops gushing, they plug it. Even with getting tires rotated, if you hear an air impact wrench, I cringe! Checked mine afterwords and torque was 400 foot pounds before the stud snapped off. Supposed to be 90-100 ft lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Informative video. What a strange oil change setup Lexus has. I have five vehicles and do all my own preventive maintenance after some of the blatant incompetence I've witnessed. Severe over torquing and stripping of oil pan drain plug threads, having to pound a screwdriver through filters to essentially tear them off from over torquing. Being short changed a quart of oil a lot! Oil change done, but they don't change the filter you pay for. If I'm in a time crunch, and have to pay to have it done, I put a mark on the filter to see if they just clean it up and try to pass it off as new. I make sure nothing is over torqued, and I shut car off and wait a few minutes to check my oil, and virtually ALWAYS tell them to add a half or full quart. Plus not getting a good drain of old oil. Soon as it stops gushing, they plug it. Even with getting tires rotated, if you hear an air impact wrench, I cringe! Checked mine afterwords and torque was 400 foot pounds before the stud snapped off. Supposed to be 90-100 ft lbs.

You can't expect much better from those retired burger flippers that work at quicky oil change places. Rocket scientists they are not.

I change my own oil & filters & have been doing so forever. On the ES, I bought the filter wrench from the local Toyota dealer for $25 as compared to Lexus @ $60. While this oil filter set-up is distinctly odd, it isn't terribly complicated--just time comsuming. I can do an oil & oil filter change for under $40 and that's using Mobil 1 synthetic oil too.

• 1 month later...

Just did my 1st "DIY" oil change on my 08 ES 350 this weekend. Have you guys ever have a problem with getting the "cap" to drain the filter loose? When I try to loosen the "cap", the entire filter cannister loosens with it. I could not get it to loosen. It is tight to the cannister. The person that previously changed the oil must have put way too much torque on it. I believe the cap should have approx 10ft lbs, the cannister approx 20ft lbs, and the drain bolt approx 30ft lbs. I know there is an "o" ring, in there that should be changed. I've tried everything I could think of to get it off. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dean

• 1 month later...

Fyi, the oil filter housing says 25nM +/- 5 (nM = Newton meter). That's about 18.5 ft-lb. Thanks for the info on the special service tool, it works like a champ AND I can torque correctly!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I changed the oil in my Wife’s 2018 ES350 for its very first oil change last week.  (Could have had it done free at the dealer but they are two hours drive from us.). The filter plug would not turn independently so I used a large screwdriver to hold one of the ears of the canister to get the plug off and drain the canister.  When I re-assembled it I put some anti-seize compound on the canister plug threads.  I torqued the housing to 20 ft lbs and then torqued the drain plug to 10 ft lbs.  Have to see if the plug comes off independently at the next oil change.  It is a bit less messy to be able to drain the canister before removing it—a clever design if it works.