Help Need Indy In La For Front Main Seal Job

Calikev

I have an oil leak so I cleaned the bottom of the car and got the bad news----------below the bottom pulley, there is oil everywhere and I can see it leaking immediately after the cleanup. Didn't see any oil pan, transmission pan leaks or power steering leaks---everything else looked really good---the car had the timing belt, water pump and pulleys replaced 9/21/10 to the insane price $1135 and the part#'s on the receipt are...

13568-59045 Belt, Timing

16100-50023-83 Pump Assy, Water

00272-1LLAC-01 Antifreeze Gallon

96761-24019 Ring, O

96761-35035 Ring, O

96711-19007 Ring, O

13503-0F010 Idler Sub Assy, Timing

13505-50022 Idler Sub-Assy, Timing

13540-50030 Tensioner Assy, Timing

It is also noted on the checklist that the vehicle has an oil leak---there is no mention of suggesting the main seal being replaced---

My first question...Does anyone think I have ANY chance at all in talking to the dealership that did the work and letting them know that they should have replaced the seal? They are the #1 Lexus dealer in the country and should have done a better job---the car has only 4k miles more on it since the work was done and it's only been 5 months

Second and last question...anyone in the LA area and want to let me pay them a reasonable price to do the work and let me help so I get some knowledge of this car and mechanic work in general---I will bring all the parts and can even supply all the tools to do the work---minus the lift---I really need to get this fixed ASAP---the is my daily driver

Thanks in advance guys!

Kevin

Well if they noted the leak when they did the TB and you've confirmed it is the main seal they should have fixed it then. Probably only another 1/2 hour labor and trivial parts cost.

I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to throw you a bone. Maybe they won't eat all the cost but if you just pay parts and 1/2 labor fee that may be a fair outcome. Wrap yourself in the quality and customer service flag when you approach them. Maybe go straight to the maintenance manager as he'd have more discretion on such matters.

Well if they noted the leak when they did the TB and you've confirmed it is the main seal they should have fixed it then. Probably only another 1/2 hour labor and trivial parts cost.

I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to throw you a bone. Maybe they won't eat all the cost but if you just pay parts and 1/2 labor fee that may be a fair outcome. Wrap yourself in the quality and customer service flag when you approach them. Maybe go straight to the maintenance manager as he'd have more discretion on such matters.

Thanks for replying! That is where I was immediately after typing everything in here. I just got back...the car is with them now---they said they will call me later today or Monday morning and let me know exactly what is needed. I was very nice and didn't accuse them of anything. The service writer said they wouldn't replace any seal when doing a TB waterpump job unless it was leaking. I let him know that my opinion was that it should be standard procedure to replace the basic $8-$12 seals on a 18 yr old car getting $1135 of work done and that his paperwork stated that the car had oil leaks and it was noted when they did the repairs. The fact that they noted oil leaks and didn't do the seals is negligent in my opinion. I guess I have to wait to see the outcome. I'm a very calm person in these situations. I think it helps to be a problem solver and request things calmly instead of accusing and shouting or being unreasonable. It never works to be that way..especially when you want something from someone. They really are a good dealership with a great reputation. I expect them to do the right thing--or at least hope they will.

If the leak is severe enough to have gotten oil on the timing belt itself, the belt should also be replaced. You would not notice it at first but over time, contaminants can degrade the belt material and cause premature failure.

WOW!!!----my jaw has permanently dropped!!! I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at the dealer---I didn't have to say a single word...he said he agreed that they should have had better recommendations at the time the timing belt and water pump were done and that they would do the cam and crank seals for what it would have cost to do them at the time the TB and WP were done...$300 total. He then gave me a full laundry list of any and everything they found that the car needed to be in "like-new" condition. Clearly they went over my car with a really fine toothed comb to make sure they wouldn't be in this spot again. I will be going to get it Wed/Thurs. THERE IS A REASON WHY THE #1 DEALER IS #1 I never even mentioned that my wife and I bought several cars there and that we purchased a 2011 Prius there just 3 weeks ago. I had all these "aces in the hole" and never had to use them or talk to a mgr or write a letter or anything of that stuff I was prepared to do to "right" this situation in my mind. Felt weird agreeing with a car dealership. Thanks to everyone here for making me seem smarter than I am when talking to them about my car. I think that was the major difference...they really thought I was knowledgeable about mechanics procedures and my car. !!!Thanks again LOC!!! I would mention the dealer, but I don't know if that's OK to do? Either way they are #1 Lexus and Toyota and they proved why to me.

Great to hear! Now throw the dealer a bone and write a nice thank you letter and mail (not email) it to the dealer. They maybe have a brag book of nice customer letters they show customers. Send it to the president of the dealer and cc: lexus corporate and tell them how great your experience was.

Definitely will send a letter and give them the cudos they deserve---people are so quick (including me) to be prepared to write bad letters, but rarely praise when it is deserved. These guys really did impress me---I think the thing that impressed me the most is that we didn't get to this solution after going back and forth several times and getting mgr after mgr involved--I had 1 conversation and they responded 1 time with a fair and honest solution. The big boss there has to be an alright guy that doesn't need his ego stroked because he didn't even take the credit and call me to let me know it was because of his leadership, philosophy or greatness that this would happen. He let the service mgr that met me and wrote the paperwork up handle it from A-Z.