Mudguards For 2009 Rx350

It seems like OEM mudflaps have been gradually shrinking in size over the decades which I've noticed because I've had mudflaps on almost every car I've owned over 45 years. The OEM mudflaps I installed on the 90 LS I drove for many years were probably twice as big as the OEM mudflaps I put on my 00 LS. I remember reading that the larger OEM mudflaps on my 90 LS increased the noise level at highway speeds by one decibel so maybe that is a reason for the trend to smaller mudflaps.

I saw a number of aftermarket mudflaps by Googling "RX350 mudflaps" but I've found that the quality of aftermarket mudflaps to be generally crappy. None of aftermarket mudflaps appear to be the molded type. Toyota/Lexus mudflaps are molded to fit perfectly and are probably impossible to get knocked off by ice and snow -- something that happened more than once with the substantially larger OEM mudflaps I had on Volvo and Mercedes vehicles many years ago. Also, OEM Toyota/Lexus mudflaps either use existing fasteners and/or come with elongated fasteners that make installation easy. And you won't have to drill into painted metal body parts or use the kind of clamps that are sometimes used with aftermarket mudflaps that can scratch paint and open a path for corrosion.

I don't know if it will be the same on your RX but each of the front mudflaps on my 00 LS are held on with four flush fitting metal fasteners and the rear mudflaps are each held on by five flush fitting metal fasteners -- might be overkill but they aren't going any place.

The $78 Sewell wants for set of RX350 mudflaps seems a bargain. The OEM mudflaps I bought for my 90 LS and 00 LS cost more than that for just one mudflap. The mudflaps I bought for my 00 LS from a Victoria BC Lexus dealer were US$88.06 EACH included shipping.

It seems like OEM mudflaps have been gradually shrinking in size over the decades which I've noticed because I've had mudflaps on almost every car I've owned over 45 years. The OEM mudflaps I installed on the 90 LS I drove for many years were probably twice as big as the OEM mudflaps I put on my 00 LS. I remember reading that the larger OEM mudflaps on my 90 LS increased the noise level at highway speeds by one decibel so maybe that is a reason for the trend to smaller mudflaps.

I saw a number of aftermarket mudflaps by Googling "RX350 mudflaps" but I've found that the quality of aftermarket mudflaps to be generally crappy. None of aftermarket mudflaps appear to be the molded type. Toyota/Lexus mudflaps are molded to fit perfectly and are probably impossible to get knocked off by ice and snow -- something that happened more than once with the substantially larger OEM mudflaps I had on Volvo and Mercedes vehicles many years ago. Also, OEM Toyota/Lexus mudflaps either use existing fasteners and/or come with elongated fasteners that make installation easy. And you won't have to drill into painted metal body parts or use the kind of clamps that are sometimes used with aftermarket mudflaps that can scratch paint and open a path for corrosion.

I don't know if it will be the same on your RX but each of the front mudflaps on my 00 LS are held on with four flush fitting metal fasteners and the rear mudflaps are each held on by five flush fitting metal fasteners -- might be overkill but they aren't going any place.

The $78 Sewell wants for set of RX350 mudflaps seems a bargain. The OEM mudflaps I bought for my 90 LS and 00 LS cost more than that for just one mudflap. The mudflaps I bought for my 00 LS from a Victoria BC Lexus dealer were US$88.06 EACH included shipping.

Thanks for the information. I'll keep on looking. I will also call the dealer on Monday to see how much financial damage to my wallet (lol!) mudflaps can do. ;)

I bought the OEM mud guards and honestly they are so small that they barely do any good. They don't stick out far enough to prevent spray from the tires on the lower side body panels.

I bought the OEM mud guards and honestly they are so small that they barely do any good. They don't stick out far enough to prevent spray from the tires on the lower side body panels.

I sometimes think they should be called "stone guards" instead of mud flaps or mud guards. The reason I've put mudflaps on so many vehicles is that I sometimes drive on gravel roads and mud flaps seem to reduce paint damage from debris kicked up by the tires.

Thanks for the info. That was precisely why I wanted them. The 2009 RX I bought already show signs of small rocks chipping at the paint in about 10 different places on the lower side body panel. And it is only on the passenger side. The driver side is basically perfect. So I guess it was a single occurence that caused that. But with the info you provided, I guess it would be a waste of time and money to install them. I guess I'll just use the touch up paint instead.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Don't underestimate the amount of damage even those small RX mudflaps will prevent. The OEM ones for the RX look about the same size as the ones on my 00 LS (see attached photos) and the ones on my LS help a lot. And it is normal for the passenger side to get more damage from stone chips because debris tends to wash towards the edges of roads.

It took a few months each to get mudflaps on both my 90 and 00 LS400's since I had to get them from UK (90 LS) and Canadian (00 LS) dealers. Both cars had perfect paint on the bumpers behind the rear wheels wheels when I bought them since the 90 LS was new and the 00 LS had just had it's bumpers repainted by the dealer before I bought it. I got more stone chips on the underneath and sides of the rear bumper covers in those few months than in the remaining 13+ years I owned the 90 LS and the nearly eight years I've owned the 00 LS.

Mudflaps don't do much to keep a water spray from dirtying a car but they do help prevent thicker liquids - mainly road tar but sometimes spilled paint and other gunk - from getting on the sides of the car.

Maybe cars don't need mudflaps as much on the drivers side but it would look odd to have them on just one side. Probably I'm so "in" to this concept is because we keep cars a long .... long time -- usually 10 to 15 years and like to keep them as nice looking as possible.

post-2157-0-09278900-1303658658_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-16520400-1303658697_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-79399000-1303658709_thumb.jp

Don't underestimate the amount of damage even those small RX mudflaps will prevent. The OEM ones for the RX look about the same size as the ones on my 00 LS (see attached photos) and the ones on my LS help a lot. And it is normal for the passenger side to get more damage from stone chips because debris tends to wash towards the edges of roads.

It took a few months each to get mudflaps on both my 90 and 00 LS400's since I had to get them from UK (90 LS) and Canadian (00 LS) dealers. Both cars had perfect paint on the bumpers behind the rear wheels wheels when I bought them since the 90 LS was new and the 00 LS had just had it's bumpers repainted by the dealer before I bought it. I got more stone chips on the underneath and sides of the rear bumper covers in those few months than in the remaining 13+ years I owned the 90 LS and the nearly eight years I've owned the 00 LS.

Mudflaps don't do much to keep a water spray from dirtying a car but they do help prevent thicker liquids - mainly road tar but sometimes spilled paint and other gunk - from getting on the sides of the car.

Maybe cars don't need mudflaps as much on the drivers side but it would look odd to have them on just one side. Probably I'm so "in" to this concept is because we keep cars a long .... long time -- usually 10 to 15 years and like to keep them as nice looking as possible.

Thanks a bunch! And thanks for the pics too. Yes, I will get the OEM mudflaps. I took a look at my other older cars, and they came with mudflaps. Small ones, nevertheless they are there. And I have no difficulty at all believing you that it will help reduce the number of rocks chipping the paint. I'll let you know how much I paid after I get them.

I got the (small OEM) mudguards. I have no idea whether they really prevent much, but whatever they might prevent would be at a sharper angle to the paint and thus more damaging. Price is low and any protection obtained is worth it. They are probably smaller than the old because smaller impacts fuel economy less.

Easy install, wasn't it? Some Lexus models have required a little drilling and removing the rear wheels to do it. I had to do both on my 90 and 00 LS400's.

Yep, ridiculously easy. Took me about 30 minutes in a tight place (my garage). Without an electric screwdriver though, it would have not been much fun. It was a bit more tight at the back, but I inserted the screws at a 45 degree angle and then manually finished them so they are straight.

I understand why it doesn't come with the vehicle as it does change the look. It makes it slightly more truck-like. But the benefits outweight the esthetic, imo. Though I bet women would prefer no mud flap. ;)