Parking Sonar Sensor Dead

curiousB

My parking sonar has been disabled for >1 year due to a problem. I traced it down to one of the bumper mounted sensors. The sensor looks fine, no obvious marks or scrapes. List price for these guys is $270 each!! :censored: The car has 12 of them! :cries: Fortunately I only need one. Sewell has them for $171 which seems a pretty good discount off list. Any suggestion where it may even be cheaper?

I don't really care much about the feature I just hate that it doesn't work properly.

OK all fixed. A $194 sensor later and the parking sonar is working again. The way I narrowed it down to the sensor was by swapping sensor pairs around and then saw faulty zone move with one of the sensors. That way I was 99% sure it wasn't ECU or the wiring harness. Electrical parts are generally non returnable so you need to be sure or you bought something for nothing.

Got a price from Sewell Lexus online and emailed my local dealer and he agreed to price match. Saved me time delay and I had to pay IL sales tax but no shipping so came out a wash. I've done this a few times now. Dealer has come to conclusion that 25% margin on something is better than 50% margin on nothing...

OK all fixed. A $194 sensor later and the parking sonar is working again. The way I narrowed it down to the sensor was by swapping sensor pairs around and then saw faulty zone move with one of the sensors. That way I was 99% sure it wasn't ECU or the wiring harness. Electrical parts are generally non returnable so you need to be sure or you bought something for nothing.

Got a price from Sewell Lexus online and emailed my local dealer and he agreed to price match. Saved me time delay and I had to pay IL sales tax but no shipping so came out a wash. I've done this a few times now. Dealer has come to conclusion that 25% margin on something is better than 50% margin on nothing...

Thanks for the dealer tip!

• 5 months later...

How much did it cost to have it installed? I had an estimate of $700 for a new sensor with installation. They said they have to take off the entire bumper to install it correctly.

Depends which sensor you have to change. The outer four (2 on each side) on the front corners do NOT need the bumper removed, you can loosen a cover and reach behind....