Front Suspension Issues

yotoy82

I know this is a common topic, but I took my car for an alignment today (1996 LS400) to a local alignment/mechanic shop and to inspect a squeeky weird sound I get over bumps and hills. They said both lower ball joints need to be replaced and the lower control arm bushings (said they were "rotted out"). After looking online and on the forums it seems that the lower control arm bushings don't go bad but its actually the strut rod bushings? I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer who understands the suspension but from what I've read here I guess it most likely will be the strut rod bushings and if that is the case, is it just cheaper to change out the entire bar?

I know this is a common topic, but I took my car for an alignment today (1996 LS400) to a local alignment/mechanic shop and to inspect a squeeky weird sound I get over bumps and hills. They said both lower ball joints need to be replaced and the lower control arm bushings (said they were "rotted out"). After looking online and on the forums it seems that the lower control arm bushings don't go bad but its actually the strut rod bushings? I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer who understands the suspension but from what I've read here I guess it most likely will be the strut rod bushings and if that is the case, is it just cheaper to change out the entire bar?

from what I've read the strut rob bushings are pressed into the strut rod. Easy to get out if you have a machine press, hard if you're hammering them out on a bench. The major concensus seems to be to purchase the entire rod (about $110 to $120 each seems to be the best price). This seems to be the most common failure of the front suspension.