2002Rx300 Oil Drip

peng

A coupld weeks ago, I had my transmission rebuild at mileage 127,000km. Last week, I found oil drip in my garage. I thought this must be transmission fluid. I took the car back to the transmission shop. They checked, and found that the drip was engine oil, coming out from the left side, (driver side, under the battery ),not the bottom part, of the engine. Could anybody give me any clue what this might be?? Does this leak has any connection with the transmission service?? or it is simply another independent problems. What a nightmare!!

thanks..

Peng- I don't believe it could be engine oil coming out from UNDERNEATH the battery. There is no engine or engine oil underneath the battery. Is it possible that it is the valve cover on the radiator side (front)? You need someone who is a little sharper to look at it. Even a transmission mechanic should be able to tell you where they think it is coming from. Easiest way to detect where it's coming from is to wash the area of the oil off with solvent or engine cleaner and dry it good with compressed air, and then watch for the 1st sign of fresh oil. It is common for the rear main seal to leak on the early RX's. If it were that it would be a shame because that's easy to change with the trans. out, but it would have to come back out to change the rear main seal. Let's hope it's not that.

Peng- I don't believe it could be engine oil coming out from UNDERNEATH the battery. There is no engine or engine oil underneath the battery. Is it possible that it is the valve cover on the radiator side (front)? You need someone who is a little sharper to look at it. Even a transmission mechanic should be able to tell you where they think it is coming from. Easiest way to detect where it's coming from is to wash the area of the oil off with solvent or engine cleaner and dry it good with compressed air, and then watch for the 1st sign of fresh oil. It is common for the rear main seal to leak on the early RX's. If it were that it would be a shame because that's easy to change with the trans. out, but it would have to come back out to change the rear main seal. Let's hope it's not that.

Sorry, more precisely, it is coming out from uder the Air Filter compartment, dripping out from left side(driver seat) of engine . Hope it is not from the rear main seal. Would this possibly caused by the transmission shop?? thanks for the reply..

my rear seal went on my RX at like 66K. They did the work as a good will warranty for me and so I had to pay for the part $20. Now at 120K it seems to be leaking again. A luxury car with main seal leaks.....wth?!? I'd like to know if the seal they installed was a new design or an old design, sealing on a different place.

Sorry, more precisely, it is coming out from uder the Air Filter compartment, dripping out from left side(driver seat) of engine . Hope it is not from the rear main seal. Would this possibly caused by the transmission shop?? thanks for the reply..

Peng, You've got to be more specific about where it's coming from. From what I remember, there IS NO ENGINE below the air filter box, there's only transmission there! Gotta either get under there yourself and take a GOOD look or find somebody who knows more about a car than you and have them look!