This Is A Volvo?

pj8708

Wow Paul you found something not on AOL! :lol: :P

That is one ugly car by the way!

Wow Paul you found something not on AOL! :lol: :P

That is one ugly car by the way!

Hey, come on! I'm retired and I don't get out much!! LOL

To tell you the truth, I don't care much for Motor Trend or Car and Driver as they seem to only talk about zero to 60, braking, cornering at 90mph, and handling on an obstacle course. Things I don't run into much going to buy a quart of milk... I am interested in the business end of making and marketing autos, hence the articles.

I thought the car was striking. For one, the grill is way different I'll grant you, but it breaks away from the side scoops that everybody else is doing now and the horizontal grill lines that again, almost everybody copies. The back looks a little like the Ford Taurus and I see it as sleek and very streamlined(if they still use that word now days). Why do you think it's ugly?.....

To tell you the truth, I don't care much for Motor Trend or Car and Driver as they seem to only talk about zero to 60, braking, cornering at 90mph, and handling on an obstacle course. Things I don't run into much going to buy a quart of milk... I am interested in the business end of making and marketing autos, hence the articles.

I thought the car was striking. For one, the grill is way different I'll grant you, but it breaks away from the side scoops that everybody else is doing now and the horizontal grill lines that again, almost everybody copies. The back looks a little like the Ford Taurus and I see it as sleek and very streamlined(if they still use that word now days). Why do you think it's ugly?.....

I know both my parents just retired...feel sorry for you guys with nothing to do all day! :whistles:

And as far as the car just don't like it at all...Paul...you know what they say different strokes for different folks. The wheels look like someone got it and went on pimp my ride! Kind of spaceship looking to me...maybe for the jetsons or something. Does it fly? :lol:

I know both my parents just retired...feel sorry for you guys with nothing to do all day! :whistles:

And as far as the car just don't like it at all...Paul...you know what they say different strokes for different folks. The wheels look like someone got it and went on pimp my ride! Kind of spaceship looking to me...maybe for the jetsons or something. Does it fly? :lol:

LOL..Can see your point about the wheels for sure. As with all concept cars, it pushes the envelope and for Volvo( we have a S80, 07') it is such a wild departure it's bound to start controversy.

Stay cool my friend and remember, some day you can have too much time on your hands like me and your parents!!LOL!!!

Paul

Thats not entirely true. Volvo may have been owned by an American company, and may now be owned by a Chinese company, but they are still a Swedish carmaker. Headquartered in Sweden, built in Sweden (they do have a plant in Belgium). The Swedish government funded money towards Volvo to keep it afloat before the sale from Ford, and the government even considered purchasing it and operating it themselves because they were such an important part of Swedish culture and such a huge employer in Sweden. VERY Swedish company.

But Volvo cars are now Chinese, own by Geili since 2010. Prior to that there were American, owned by Ford since late 1998 and prior to that, they were Sweedish. The two founders of Volvo must be spinning at 6,000 rpm in their graves...

Hi Lover,

Volvo was bought by Geely last year, but all manufacturing and design work is staying in Sweden. The new head of Volvo is not from Geely and is from the European auto arena. (I can't think of his name right now.)

Your right. The old timers are going to have a hard time with this. I belong to Matthews Volvo board and the latest model they ever talk about will be a 2000 S80. Any model year newer than that are not considered true Volvo's I guess.

Geely and Volvo are working on a car specifically for the Chinese market.

Thats not entirely true. Volvo may have been owned by an American company, and may now be owned by a Chinese company, but they are still a Swedish carmaker. Headquartered in Sweden, built in Sweden (they do have a plant in Belgium). The Swedish government funded money towards Volvo to keep it afloat before the sale from Ford, and the government even considered purchasing it and operating it themselves because they were such an important part of Swedish culture and such a huge employer in Sweden. VERY Swedish company.

We've got to stop meeting like this. While your typing, I'm typing the same thing. Yours post at the same second mine post. Is this the old "Great Minds" trick...... Nah....just mine ..LOL

HAHA, my mind pales in comparison!

The new head of Volvo cars is Stefan Jacoby, formerly head of VW.

Just the fact that you were able to pull that little factoid out of your cerebellum is amazing to me. Your post are full of information and facts about not only Lexus but other brands as well. Your friends must remark on what seems to be an exceptional memory.

That, or you make a lot of *BLEEP* up!

Volvo (pre-Ford/Geely era) was the only car company putting the customer ahead of profits. Unfortunately, most did not recognize that fact and people tend to prefer gadgets and what is fashionable over their own safety.

I understand Volvo Corp didn't have a choice, it was either Ford or oblivion. But Ford who created the roll-over Explorer and explosive tires, among some of its greatest creations at that time, where the exact opposite of a company like Volvo. In any case, Volvo's soul is long dead. Anyone wants Chinese food?

P.S. Fastest speed I achieved while driving a 240 was 119 mph :)

Volvo (pre-Ford/Geely era) was the only car company putting the customer ahead of profits. Unfortunately, most did not recognize that fact and people tend to prefer gadgets and what is fashionable over their own safety.

What evidence do you have that their corporate integrity has changed?

And NO company puts the customer ahead of profit. Companies are in business to make profit...period. Volvo may have a focus on safety and may be a pioneer of a lot of safety innovations...but they didn't do that out of the goodness of their heart...they did it to make profit. Its their unique selling proposition.

You speak as if everything that isn't a Volvo isn't safe and people are buying flash over safety, hardly. You don't think a Mercedes, or BMW, or Lexus are as safe as a Volvo? Of course they are...look at the crash test results. People simply chose style and substance with safety over safety with no style. Why don't you drive a Volvo?

I understand Volvo Corp didn't have a choice, it was either Ford or oblivion. But Ford who created the roll-over Explorer and explosive tires, among some of its greatest creations at that time, where the exact opposite of a company like Volvo. In any case, Volvo's soul is long dead. Anyone wants Chinese food?

Um, last time I checked Ford didn't make tires. As for the Explorer rolling over, I had an Explorer for years. Believe it or not, I drove my Explorer on a handling course during a driving event. The Explorer was no more prone to rollovers than any other period SUV. The issue was Firestone (a company that had nothing to do with Ford) tires that suffered separated tread resulting in high speed blowouts. That model of tire was OEM really only on the Explorer. Those tires only came on SOME Explorers (mine had Goodyears from the factory).

The issue had nothing to do with the Explorers...it had everything to do with the Firestone tires. Did Ford know about an issue before it became public knowledge? I'm sure they did.

Anyways...Ford for the most part kept their hands off of the brands in their Premier Automotive Group. I don't think you can make any valid argument that any of the companies Ford bought as a part of that group are anything but better off because Ford purchased them. Look at Jaguar or Land Rover...huge improvements under Ford ownership.

You are making some good points and I didn't want to get into a long explanation, so I just picked facts at random to ridiculized Ford and its management. I do not wish to start a long discussion, so let's say that each one of us is entitled to his/her opinion. I guess you and I are both passionate about Volvo. Btw, my first Volvo was a 240 and my last one was a S90.