What Is Your Fuel Comsumption On 2006 Rx400H

A search of the archives didn't reveal any topics. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Purchased my certified 2006 RX400H about a year and a half ago from the dealer. Been a good vehicle. No real problems, except that the paint on the front bumper is starting to peal. Doesn't look like a certified warranty covered "defect", so I'll have to have that pained on my own coin.

One thing that I am disappointed in is the fuel consumption. I'm not a lead foot at all, and the constant feedback from the center display is like a little game I can play while driving to see how high I can keep the fuel consumption. Even so, it seems that my consumption should be a lot better than what I'm getting. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the car. In a mix of suburban/highway driving, probably close to 50/50 mile-wise, I'm only averaging between 23 and 24 miles per gallon. On a rare occasion, I'll get right over 24 if that tank is more highway than suburban; but never in the high 20's like I was hoping.

People who have a late 2000's vintage RX400H, what are you getting for an average mpg?

I have an '08 400h bought new and live in suburban Philadelphia. The vehicle now has ~28K on it and I use regular gas (10% ethanol).

Just general running around locally I get 22.5 winter and 24.5 summer. If I get out on the highway and behave myself (rare), I can squeeze 26-27 out of it.

All these people that talk about HIGH 20's...I'm happy for them, but either they live in flatlands, have warmer climate, can find non-ethanolized gas, or they have a more...patient driver style than me. :unsure:

Also low rolling resistance tires will help your MPG. The OEM Michelin Energy S8's (LRR) gave me 2-3 MPG more than the Yokohama Parada Spec-X I now have installed. But the Paradas are better performing, so it's a tradeoff.

I usually got 30 MPG on longer trips with the OEM tires, now getting 28 with the Paradas. I get 23 MPG (winter) and 25-26 MPG (summer) on my 10 mile work commute.

Search for "ISC reset" - you can do it yourself, or look in the sticky section for the TSBs, print the TSB out and take it to your dealer (because 90% of them have no frickin' clue what the ISC reset is). The ISC reset needs to be done if the battery is ever disconnected, or run below 7.2 volts (or thereabouts).

We average 24.2-25 MPG. Compared to former coworkers who owned RX330s (averaged 17-18 MPG), I'd say our car's fuel efficiency has already paid off the $3000 premium we paid (after tax credit) and is paying dividends handsomely with the $4.20/gallon fuel prices. I know that many non-hybrid RX owners assumed that gas prices would average somewhere in the vicinity of $2.50/gallon for the life of their ownership but boy, were they sadly mistaken!

We average 24.2-25 MPG. Compared to former coworkers who owned RX330s (averaged 17-18 MPG), I'd say our car's fuel efficiency has already paid off the $3000 premium we paid (after tax credit) and is paying dividends handsomely with the $4.20/gallon fuel prices. I know that many non-hybrid RX owners assumed that gas prices would average somewhere in the vicinity of $2.50/gallon for the life of their ownership but boy, were they sadly mistaken!

I am with you on this, and absolutely love my rx400h, but have you ever driven a 330? Boy, it is one fine ride! Getting back to the hybrid feels like you are driving a truck.

Just my .02

Yes, I have and frankly, I'm not sure why you feel their ride quality is different. Our RX400 rides just as smoothly as the RX330s and 350s I've driven or been driven in.

Yes, I have and frankly, I'm not sure why you feel their ride quality is different. Our RX400 rides just as smoothly as the RX330s and 350s I've driven or been driven in.

The 330 can handle sporty driving. When you push down the pedal, it feels like it accelerates faster. It doesn't but it sure feels like it. And when you drive it fast on a bend, it sticks to the road. The hybrid feels like there is an extra ton weight in the trunk that is trying to overtake.

Of course, if you want a good-handling hybrid, the Ct200h will both handle much better than and get twice the fuel economy of an RX330. However, if you want a silky-smooth ride, power acceleration, tall driving stature, and good gas mileage, the RX hybrids are tough to beat.

I do feel sorry for those who must buy diesel fuel here in CA. It is averaging $.30-$.50 per gallon more than regular gas. I've seen it as high as $4.60/gallon. Ouch!

I do feel sorry for those who must buy diesel fuel here in CA. It is averaging $.30-$.50 per gallon more than regular gas. I've seen it as high as $4.60/gallon. Ouch!

I know what you mean. The RX is the "good" car and only gets driven once or maybe twice a week. My daily driver is an ancient MB diesel. Need to fill up today after work, and it's going to hurt. But, I can't complain too much as I'm getting 35-36 mpg out of the thing. Only wish it had a little more horsepower. Having only 70hp, it doesn't take the hills very well.

---

Thanks for the replies. Seems like my consumption is a little under everybody's else. I'll check out that ICS reset thingy. Don't know the history of the battery, but I wouldn't be surprised if things changed during the dealer prep/certification process. Pretty sure the car was a lease return.

• 3 weeks later...

Volosong, Your mileage sounds a lot like ours in our 2006 RX400h. 22.5-23.5 is typical in mixed driving for us. I tend to get less mile/gal than my better half, but I get there faster!

• 1 month later...

I got 19 MPG in the very cold winter, and 22 to 23 MPG in the 70F-80F temperature. I drive mainly local, short trips of 5-6 miles, and the first five minute MPG is 10 to 12MPG. The engine warms up, then the MPG jumps to 28 to 30. I got Nitto Tire 420S. A lot more grip than the OEM Michelin, but 1 to 2 MPG lower. There is a sharp turn off the highway ramp, and I can feel tire slipping with the Michelin when I go 40MPH; not so with the Nitto. It is much better in the snow too.

Hello everyone,

As for my RX400h my MPG went down to max 15 MPG after doing the ISC resetting procedure ( the resetting was don correctly), I used to have a range from 19.1 MPG up to 22.3 MPG but now the average is around 13 MPG, can anyone help me please, thanx a lot in advance guys.

BRs,

Ahmad T. :)

13 MPG??

My guess is that the ISC reset wasn't done completely. The ISC reset isn't an "all or nothing" procedure, meaning any changes to the procedure will tell the car exactly how economic you want the car to function at. If you don't hold the pedal for the set amount of time and the battery doesn't charge enough or charges too much, you'll make the car think you want better or worse mileage.

13 MPG??

My guess is that the ISC reset wasn't done completely. The ISC reset isn't an "all or nothing" procedure, meaning any changes to the procedure will tell the car exactly how economic you want the car to function at. If you don't hold the pedal for the set amount of time and the battery doesn't charge enough or charges too much, you'll make the car think you want better or worse mileage.

Yes it is an all or nothing procedure. Either the ISC procedure is 'complete', or it's 'incomplete' per the Lexus computer that they hook up to it. Unfortunately, when you are doing it yourself without having a Lexus computer handy, you can't tell if it was completed or not. You can't "fine tune" it for better or worse mileage as mentioned above.

My guess is that you may have followed the directions, but the procedure didn't complete properly. You also need to drive for some time to get an average of your gas mileage. If you do the ISC reset, then immediately reset the mileage computer, then drive like a madman, you will see low mileage. What you're looking for is an average over many kilometres.

A search of the archives didn't reveal any topics. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Purchased my certified 2006 RX400H about a year and a half ago from the dealer. Been a good vehicle. No real problems, except that the paint on the front bumper is starting to peal. Doesn't look like a certified warranty covered "defect", so I'll have to have that pained on my own coin.

One thing that I am disappointed in is the fuel consumption. I'm not a lead foot at all, and the constant feedback from the center display is like a little game I can play while driving to see how high I can keep the fuel consumption. Even so, it seems that my consumption should be a lot better than what I'm getting. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the car. In a mix of suburban/highway driving, probably close to 50/50 mile-wise, I'm only averaging between 23 and 24 miles per gallon. On a rare occasion, I'll get right over 24 if that tank is more highway than suburban; but never in the high 20's like I was hoping.

People who have a late 2000's vintage RX400H, what are you getting for an average mpg?

Jack, there are more than a few forum members here who are getting quite a bit higher. It certainly is possible but you must make an effort to do so.

• 1 month later...

Hello...I bought a used 07 RX400H in February 2011 with 49K miles on it. I live in the chicago area so it was quite cold then. I was shocked at the time to learn I only got about 21-22 MPG and thats driving like an old lady, playing the "drive on battery only" game, and a lot of coasting. I also have a 5 miles work commute, so by the time I got to work, the engine was still cold. As June and July warmed up, MPG improved a lot. I average around 25-27 MPG now. Once I drove about an hour away after a fill-up with highway/rural driving and averaged 34MPG for that one trip - but that was the best I ever got. I also got lucky with the green lights, and coasting and no a/c on. I usually fill-up with 89 octane, have michellin tires and have a K&N air filter which is suppose to increase horsepower and fuel economy and it will last the lifetime of the vehicle. I also heard a good wax on the car will increase fuel economy by up to 7% on an average car, but who knows.

Hello...I bought a used 07 RX400H in February 2011 with 49K miles on it. I live in the chicago area so it was quite cold then. I was shocked at the time to learn I only got about 21-22 MPG and thats driving like an old lady, playing the "drive on battery only" game, and a lot of coasting. I also have a 5 miles work commute, so by the time I got to work, the engine was still cold. As June and July warmed up, MPG improved a lot. I average around 25-27 MPG now. Once I drove about an hour away after a fill-up with highway/rural driving and averaged 34MPG for that one trip - but that was the best I ever got. I also got lucky with the green lights, and coasting and no a/c on. I usually fill-up with 89 octane, have michellin tires and have a K&N air filter which is suppose to increase horsepower and fuel economy and it will last the lifetime of the vehicle. I also heard a good wax on the car will increase fuel economy by up to 7% on an average car, but who knows.

I've never heard of waxing your car to increase fuel mileage... :blink:

After 5.5 years.....in the 24- 25mpg range. I live in SoCal...warm year round...the best that I ever got on one tank was 27.1. I love this car. I had to drive a rental once for about a month, a Ford Edge...not bad...but when I got back into my 06 400H...it felt so,so much better. Even the 330 and the 350 don't feel as nice...I don't believe the 330 nor 350 have the CVT trans. That makes a HUGE difference. I did not GET the post about driving like a "Truck"...I thought it was the other way around...anyway......I get about 25 MPG...NEVER has one tank been under 22 and never over 28 in my experience. Oh, I could not get the Ford Edge over 18MPG. ...now , the Edge, that felt more "truck like"...but it looks great and wasn't bad. The inside looked cheap like a toy...Rey in LA

There are some tricks to attaining better gas mileage...

1) Do not let others drive your vehicle. Obviously, another family member will not have the Technic down pat.

2) In winter, if you can, choose to drive with your heated seats in place of the Heater (leave off, hence the engine is not required to transfer heat to the anti-freeze in order to send heat to the heater core)

3) Try to accelerate initially by Electric, then at about 15-20mph when the ICE kicks in, steadily and gingerly without too much hesitation, get up to Legal Speed limit less 5-10%. This is a Technic, you can't be to hesitant about this yet you can't plant your foot to the floor either. In order to ride the coast factor, you need to be somewhere between 35 - 45 mph in the city (depending on legal speed limits in your area). This is one of the hardest Technics to master.

5) Hey, it's no secret, if you drive at 65mph (i.e. of legal speed in many states) you will get much better mpg by actually driving 58mph or so... Yep, you will be in the right lane and most everyone will be passing you. But that 5-8% variable pays off over a tankful of gas.

4) If you have the choice of driving in the city or the highway to get to the same destination, choose city. Anything below 50mph allows for more Electric Power and less use of the ICE. It is what it is, so to attain mpg you need more Electric mojo.

5) Coast. By that, when you know you are approaching either a stop sign or light, back off on the throttle even though you are less inclined to do so. This is what p!sses off the people behind you the most, but this is where you gain the most electric use and hence less ICE. And this also requires anticipation, so don't wait for the stale green light to turn yellow-red, back off the throttle and coast.

6) Bump up your factory tire psi by approximately 3 - 5 psi. You will need to take note of tire wear, because if you tend to over due it you may cause abnormal tire wear as well as experience a rougher choppier ride. But, less rolling resistance means better mpg.

You can use 65% by volume Carnuba Wax (Zymol private collectors edition, that requires you to rub the product in your hand to heat and warm on the wax, because it can only be applied by hand) and you will never get any kind of mileage improvement. Zip, Zero, Zilch! Your car will be super shiny and have a very lasting wax finish, but the resistance of the wind over a waxed or unwaxed car will be ZERO difference in wind resistance.

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. I used to get over 30mpg's (averaging between 31 - 34 mpg) but now my wife drives the 400H exclusively and she pays ZERO attention to driving and she averages 23mpg with Zero effort on her part. On my last excursion driving 65 - 75 mph, I managed with the AC on to get 25mpg LOL).

First, mileage will be worse in the winter. Several factors - winter gas (with gas line antifreeze (more ethanol?) added) will give you lower mileage; the engine has to run more often in winter to keep the catalytic converter at operating temperature and to keep the coolant hot for cabin climate control.

Second, make sure your ISC reset (do a search) is done. If the battery has ever been disconnected or run below 7.2 volts, the ISC needs to be reset. Many people (myself included) have seen mileage really improve after doing the ISC reset.

Still, 25-27 mpg in the warm weather is pretty good.