Everyone Drives Mercedes!

pj8708

We're in the La Jolla area of California this weekend, and as we drive around or walk down the street there are dozens of Mercedes every where. If it's not a Benz then it is likely to be a BMW. I have never seen so many Mercedes in one town before. Yes there are Lexus as well, but by far, Benz is king of the luxury market.

Is there anyone on the board familiar with this area that could shed some light on this small village and it's luxury car taste.

Anyone else have a theory?

Curious in Iowa,

Paul

Easy, the Benz and Bimmers have a much higher level of snobbery than Lexus.

LABEL SNOBBERY

1. Porsche

2. Mercedes-Benz

3. BMW

4. Jag

5. Audi

6. Lexus

7. Hyundai

Go to page 11 if you want to see the scoop.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1103_entry_level_fullsize_luxury_sedan_comparison/hyundai_equus.html

Pretty funny.LOL..Obviously the list came only from the minds of the writers and editors, not the people who actually put down their hard earned money to buy their luxury cars. LOL

Based on sales in our area, I would put Jag and Audi near the bottom and Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes at the top. Hyundai has yet to find a niche for their two up-scale labels.

Thanks for the article!

Paul

Well you know what they say: 'to buy a Bimmer or a Benz, all you need is money, but to buy a Lexus, you need both money and brain' ;) lol

IMHO, truer words were never spoken!

:) :lol: ok I have a BMW too. Had a Benz before but here is my BMW joke.

What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? (think hard)

BMW's have all of their pricks on the inside! :) :lol:

What if you drive a Mercedes and a Lexus?

Then you are bipolar ;)

laugh.gif .........chair.gif where's my meds.........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a similar thing going on where I live. Here in Scottsdale, Arizona, BMW's are as common as dirt. Go to an intersection, and you guarunteed to see at least three 328's. The 5-Series Beemers are popular here, too, and they're always white, black, or silver, and chances are there's either a clueless woman or a yuppie at the wheel.

In the col-de-sac that I live in, there are eight houses. Three of those houses are home to a BMW. I think people here in Arizona have caught the BMW bug. :wacko:

We have a similar thing going on where I live. Here in Scottsdale, Arizona, BMW's are as common as dirt. Go to an intersection, and you guarunteed to see at least three 328's. The 5-Series Beemers are popular here, too, and they're always white, black, or silver, and chances are there's either a clueless woman or a yuppie at the wheel.

In the col-de-sac that I live in, there are eight houses. Three of those houses are home to a BMW. I think people here in Arizona have caught the BMW bug. :wacko:

Funny you mentionned cul-de-sac, there is one at the end of my street and when I bought my house four years ago, I purposely decided not to get my house built in the cul-de-sac because I felt it was too snobbish for my taste. Instead I'm at the other end of the street, in the curve, with the largest pie shape lot. There is a guy down my street with an Audi R8.

Bimmers are very common in town, basically as common as Benz. Lexus and Lexus RX350 in particular are very popular too.

There is a worse affliction than the Lexus/Benz, it is the Lexus/Porsche ;)

Btw, I didn't mean it at all when I wrote that for Bimmer & Benz you just need money, while for Lexus you need both brain and money. It is simply not true.

I consider Benz, Bimmers, Porsche, Lexus and Infinity to be prestige vehicles. Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses. No car is perfect. Moreover, the support/service obtained at the dealer will make or break a vehicle (and its owner). It is unfortunate that people identify themselves so much with the vehicle they drive. Objectivity is lost when too much is invested in an object.

• 3 weeks later...

:) :lol: ok I have a BMW too. Had a Benz before but here is my BMW joke.

What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? (think hard)

BMW's have all of their pricks on the inside! :) :lol:

Who are you calling a prick? lol. :ph34r:

We're in the La Jolla area of California this weekend, and as we drive around or walk down the street there are dozens of Mercedes every where. If it's not a Benz then it is likely to be a BMW. I have never seen so many Mercedes in one town before. Yes there are Lexus as well, but by far, Benz is king of the luxury market.

Is there anyone on the board familiar with this area that could shed some light on this small village and it's luxury car taste.

Curious in Iowa,

Paul

Well, I'm a little late to the game on this one. I've been to La Jolla several times, and Paul is right. MB's in certain areas of S. California are like Toyota's for the rest of us working stiffs! They're everywhere. My former boss in NC spent 10 years in Newport Beach. He still drives his 00' MB E300 sedan. I spent about 3 weeks in Newport Beach / Laguna in 2006. I knew it was time to go home when I caught myself saying "yellow just totally ruins that Ferrari". Of course, when you've got one of these in your town, MB is sort of like a Camry in the cache' realm..

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/

I like the "used" Bugatti with 800 miles on it, for $2.5M dollars! The free carfax report is a nice touch as well. Really gives a potential buyer the piece of mind he/she needs to make sure their "used" BUGATTI hasn't seen the inside of a Macco! I also chuckle that they identify a Lamborghini Gallardo as a "4x4" instead of AWD. Hey, it's a La Jolla beach-buggy with it's 4x4!

If you go back to La Jolla, Paul, google the "Marine Room" restuarant along the beach. Some of the best seafood you'll ever eat! On high-tide, the waves crash up against the 1 inch thick glass. Kind of funny to be sitting there, eating a fish, and having his buddy's smash up against the glass at the end of your table, looking at you like "whoa..what happened to Bob?"

Curious in Iowa,

Paul

Well, I'm a little late to the game on this one. I've been to La Jolla several times, and Paul is right. MB's in certain areas of S. California are like Toyota's for the rest of us working stiffs! They're everywhere. My former boss in NC spent 10 years in Newport Beach. He still drives his 00' MB E300 sedan. I spent about 3 weeks in Newport Beach / Laguna in 2006. I knew it was time to go home when I caught myself saying "yellow just totally ruins that Ferrari". Of course, when you've got one of these in your town, MB is sort of like a Camry in the cache' realm..

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/

I like the "used" Bugatti with 800 miles on it, for $2.5M dollars! The free carfax report is a nice touch as well. Really gives a potential buyer the piece of mind he/she needs to make sure their "used" BUGATTI hasn't seen the inside of a Macco! I also chuckle that they identify a Lamborghini Gallardo as a "4x4" instead of AWD. Hey, it's a La Jolla beach-buggy with it's 4x4!

If you go back to La Jolla, Paul, google the "Marine Room" restuarant along the beach. Some of the best seafood you'll ever eat! On high-tide, the waves crash up against the 1 inch thick glass. Kind of funny to be sitting there, eating a fish, and having his buddy's smash up against the glass at the end of your table, looking at you like "whoa..what happened to Bob?"

Thanks for the info nc. I will definitely look up the Marine Room next time we're in the La Jolla area. I hope they'll let me in the city as I drive my Hertz Corolla.