Towing With The 330

MarkStanf

I just bought a boat. I am storing it in the water, but I am going to need to take it out on occasion just to clean it and whatnot. I was wondering if the 330 without the towing package will be able to handle this? The total boat weight and trailer will be right around 3K. The 330 supposedly has a 2K-2.5K max weight, but I am not towing this thing long distances. I will literally be pulling it out of the water and into a parking lot 50 yards away.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that the tow package and non-tow package have the same driveline.

For such a short distance you could put it in low and drag out the boat. Ramps are steep so go easy.

The main "insight" I have from experience with about the same weight of boat is that towing a boat that size out of the water can be much more difficult than towing it on level ground. The first time you do it, you might want to have "backup" just in case ... maybe another vehicle cabled to your RX or a pro with a truck equipped to do it if your RX can't. How well you do also depends on the ramp angle and how wet/mossy the ramp is. I hope your RX is AWD -- reconsider if it is only FWD.

Yikes! Don't mean to laugh. Just put it in low, floor it (AWD) and go. Keep it in 3 or 4th gear. Our '04 RX330 won't hold 5th gear in a wind going across Wyoming. Good luck!

Jetstream - Eugene, OR.