Thoughts On A Pcv Vavle....

kuziwk

So i was thinking, the vent that the PCV vavle plugs into sucks up all the crankcase exhaust...doesnt this all get recirculated? Since i dont have emissions where i live couldnt i just vent the PCV tube to somewhere under the engine venting the exhuast outside?

You could, but you would have to block the other end to the intake manifold....some have even put oil seperators on the pcv to collect oil and prevent it from going into the intake....I dont recommend doing any of this....

You could, but you would have to block the other end to the intake manifold....some have even put oil seperators on the pcv to collect oil and prevent it from going into the intake....I dont recommend doing any of this....

well the reason i was thinking to do this is because the crankcase is pumping carbon burn off into the intake manifold...wouldnt this gunk up the car, and by doing this mod extend the life of the engine?

PCV valves have been used since 1964. They improve crankcase cleanliness, prevent deposits, keep piston rings free, lower oil contamination and extend the life of the oil and the engine.

There is no need to disconnect it, and certainly many reasons not to.

So i was thinking, the vent that the PCV vavle plugs into sucks up all the crankcase exhaust...doesnt this all get recirculated? Since i dont have emissions where i live couldnt i just vent the PCV tube to somewhere under the engine venting the exhuast outside?

Unless your engine has severe blow-by, you will gain no goodness from this change. Besides, that it what Seafoam is for. You want to "wreck" that great smokey experience? :rolleyes:

Up until the early 1960's, a pipe called a "road draft tube" was used on all cars just as you are thinking. It put oil on the road along with the unburned hydrocarbons. Of course, engines did not fit as tight (machining-wise) back then so there was a LOT of blow-by going on compared to modern engines. Interesting read here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

Unless your engine has severe blow-by, you will gain no goodness from this change. Besides, that it what Seafoam is for. You want to "wreck" that great smokey experience? :rolleyes:

Up until the early 1960's, a pipe called a "road draft tube" was used on all cars just as you are thinking. It put oil on the road along with the unburned hydrocarbons. Of course, engines did not fit as tight (machining-wise) back then so there was a LOT of blow-by going on compared to modern engines. Interesting read here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

Hmm, i guess ill just pick up a new grommet at parts source :rolleyes:. I was always afraid of seafoam because i have 205 000 miles.

well the reason i was thinking to do this is because the crankcase is pumping carbon burn off into the intake manifold...wouldnt this gunk up the car, and by doing this mod extend the life of the engine?

I think the EGR tube/inlet is a much greater source of the long term deposits on the inside of the intake manifold.