Transmission Vibration

blessed

1991 LS with less than 160k miles. Recently I've noticed my car vibrates while at a stop light. It seems to be tied to the transmission because as soon as I place it in nuetral the vibration stops. It seem to be happening only later in the day after the car warms up. Had the tranny flushed about 12-18 months ago.

Suggestions as to why this is happeing all the sudden and suggestions as to the remedy?

Thanks!

Hi,

so I changed the Trany mount today and it is much better, but I think I´ll have to change motor mounts too. The vibrates is much much better it is realy light now. And the original mount looked bad after 167K !! Go to do it !! If you have 160K and original Trany mount you will see it will help to you !!

its fairly simple. get the front of the car on jacks or on ramps so you can crawl under then use a jack and a piece of wood to raise the trans a bit then loosen the 4 nuts (or bolts i dont remember) then the 4 bolts to take the trans cross memeber off then just another 4 bolts or so to take the mount off the trans, and well slap it back together the way you took it off. good luck!

That is a good question. I think that may be the cause of vibration on my 90 LS400 at 35-65 mph speeds. It has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks. It is really getting irritating! It is a steady, constant vibration. Seems to be worse on light accelerations at speeds between 35-65. It does not shake the steering wheel from side to side, but rather a vibration throughout the cabin. Not worse at any particular area. :rolleyes:

the trans mount was about $60 i think and i dont remember how much the motor mounts were...maybe in the area of 100bucks a piece?but it is worth every penny if you even feel vibration in you LS. trans mount is easy to change, but the motor mount takes time and unless its on a lift you need to take the rack off (i took the rack off when i changed mine)

hey thanks jzz for the infor. Luckily, I haven't had that problem but I don't like beating the problems and you gave me a great heads up. Thanks.

90LS400 - I just have to believe it is your tires. I know you keep your car up because I've seen many of your previous posts. I know I have been wrong on tires in the past.

Denny

Uh sorry jzz.... I meant I don't like waiting for a problem. To much talking on the phone, typing, and watching TV at the same time. Actually, I guess I was eating as well.

Thanks again.

denny

hey thanks jzz for the infor. Luckily, I haven't had that problem but I don't like beating the problems and you gave me a great heads up. Thanks.

90LS400 - I just have to believe it is your tires. I know you keep your car up because I've seen many of your previous posts. I know I have been wrong on tires in the past.

Denny

May be. The tires are BFGoodrich and they have about 4000 miles (if that) on them. I know that they were $95. each and the previous owner had them installed 1000 miles before I bought the car. I do not recall it doing this when I first bought it however. I have noticed what feels like a broken belt in the tire, because sometimes when I pull out- up to about 20 MPH- I can feel that "wobble" effect. Could it possibly even be a bent wheel? I would think if it was that though- that it would have done it when I first bought it. It seems strange, but I do not recall it having the vibration before the rear struts were installed. Someone said possibly out of alignment, because they did not re-align it after the rear strut installation. It did not start doing it directly after the rear strut installation, but I noticed it about 2 weeks after. As mentioned- it is getting worse and I have no idea of where to take it. I have heard that it could be anything from motor mounts, transmission mount, tires, wheels, out of alignment, driveshaft, wheel bearings, etc. If I replaced all of these items, I would have more in that than the car is worth. :) I do not think I have the warranty with the tires either. :rolleyes: I only remember seeing the receipt for them, where they were bought and installed in Kentucky at the owners 2nd home there. They lived in Florida, but also had a house in Kentucky. Thanks again- perhaps I will find something out.

As a couple people have mentioned in the past, the Lexus is hypersensitive to alignment and tires. Although tires with 4K on them should still be good, sometimes stuff like that happens. Exactly what kind of BF Goodrich tires in on your LS? Are they the "V"rated touring tires? Most upper end BFG are pretty good while some of their bottom line tires are crap. I know people who actually buy the 4 for $99 Pep Boys tires then wonder why their car is all over the place.

I heard it is illegal or something to install a lower speed rated tire on a car which specifies a higher rated. I think the new LS430's come with "H" rated tires which is why the car is governed at 130mph or something. I know my 90 came with "V" rated, but when I bought it it had "S" rated.