Interior And Exterior Bulbs Size

gabloo

Hello guys,

I recentlly bought 2010 Es 350 and would like to change all the bulbs that has inside and outside of the car. I have very little knowledge about cars so if you can provide every detail steps to follow then it will be great. I am planning change most of the light to blue or white color led.

1. Interior Bulbs ( deam bulbs?) like those bulbs that turn on when you open the door or when you need to read something. I want to change some of them into white or blue led light.

2. Those bulbs that next to mirror and bottom of it. The one that blink when i signal and the other one that turn on when your key get close to car.

3. HID and Fog light.

I did some research and found out i need to know the size of my bulbs. Do you guys have any idea or where can i find them? Are they easy to replace? and where do you recommend to buy them

Try too remove all of the bulbs you want to replace, then check the bulb sizes then.

Not all of them may be easily replaced. If you can remove them, then fine. If not, then you know.

Try too remove all of the bulbs you want to replace, then check the bulb sizes then.

Not all of them may be easily replaced. If you can remove them, then fine. If not, then you know.

You might try to find a shop that would make the swaps for you. There are shops that install accessories (alarms, remote starters etc.) that could help you make the changes.

This person has an interesting project? ....but out of curiosity, what type of base do most of the interior lamps use these days. It's been years, literally, since I've had to change and automotive bulb. Are they screw base, spade, twist lock, etc.?

Thanks cduluk!

Paul

That's the problem, Lexus uses SO many different types of bulbs and LED's for the interior applications. For the radio, shifter plates, and individual "switches" there could be 3 different bulb types and sizes, some actually "without" sizes, just little ones soldered directly onto circuit boards. After doing so many LED conversions, i know it's best to take apart the parts in question BEFORE even "thinking" about what they would look like with different color lights. In most cases you need to retrofit your own LED's and solder them directly in. It's very rare to find a direct LED bulb replacement for applications for the interiors...

Some of the bulbs have a plastic twist base, while some are just soldered in place. For the tiny ones that have a twist base, there isn't a bulb size listed on the bulb, and i haven't been able to find any online to replace them, especially not in an LED form (they're just SO small!). I've usually had to solder in place a small SMD/LED with the appropriate resistors to get everything to function.

I've also had to put off some projects after taking parts apart, realizing there wasn't a direct replacement LED-bulb available (ex's: radio light conversion, speedometer LED modification, rear license plate LED additions...). It's always difficult to learn these things, especially when you've wanted the lights changed so badly! :unsure:

Here are some quick examples,

First these tiny "blue" ones. In actuality, they don't really light up blue, but more of an "aqua-white". They're just a small bulb with a blue rubbery cap. They're the smallest i've seen... These aren't twisted in place, but actually soldered onto a circuitboard! These are what illuminate the climate control/radio center consoles in the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h's. No idea what the bulb size is, and it wouldn't even matter since they're soldered directly into place. I had to solder in my own LED's with resistors directly onto the circuit board.

260twra.jpg

30ho2up.jpg

o8ewy1.jpg

Here are some from the 99-03 Rx300 speedometer cluster. Twist base, but two sizes- one for the idiot lights and another for the PRND21 lights. No idea what size these are, but still available from Lexus. No LED bulb replacement for the smaller type though.

2hrit1t.jpg

t5g87n.jpg

And here are two bulbs from the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h center console panel, these illuminating the heated seat and headlight washer switches. Both twist type, but no idea on the bulb size. No LED bulb replacement available.

10r7s6g.jpg

2djuz5e.jpg

The smallest bulb Lexus uses that has a direct LED bulb replacement in existence is in size T4/T5... These are used in the old Lexus speedometers (before the use of CCFL and SMD) and in the old radios (before these tiny "solder type" bulbs and SMD's).

You might get excited and think you can replace the interior lights to LED's, then open one switch to find it's the type that is soldered on- so you'll end up with every interior light turned to white, but one that's stuck on green... that unless you are able to do your own soldering and find an LED/SMD small enough to fit... :unsure: So it's always best to open everything up before going out and buying LED bulbs. <_<

That's the problem, Lexus uses SO many different types of bulbs and LED's for the interior applications. For the radio, shifter plates, and individual "switches" there could be 3 different bulb types and sizes, some actually "without" sizes, just little ones soldered directly onto circuit boards. After doing so many LED conversions, i know it's best to take apart the parts in question BEFORE even "thinking" about what they would look like with different color lights. In most cases you need to retrofit your own LED's and solder them directly in. It's very rare to find a direct LED bulb replacement for applications for the interiors...

Some of the bulbs have a plastic twist base, while some are just soldered in place. For the tiny ones that have a twist base, there isn't a bulb size listed on the bulb, and i haven't been able to find any online to replace them, especially not in an LED form (they're just SO small!). I've usually had to solder in place a small SMD/LED with the appropriate resistors to get everything to function.

I've also had to put off some projects after taking parts apart, realizing there wasn't a direct replacement LED-bulb available (ex's: radio light conversion, speedometer LED modification, rear license plate LED additions...). It's always difficult to learn these things, especially when you've wanted the lights changed so badly! :unsure:

Here are some quick examples,

First these tiny "blue" ones. In actuality, they don't really light up blue, but more of an "aqua-white". They're just a small bulb with a blue rubbery cap. They're the smallest i've seen... These aren't twisted in place, but actually soldered onto a circuitboard! These are what illuminate the climate control/radio center consoles in the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h's. No idea what the bulb size is, and it wouldn't even matter since they're soldered directly into place. I had to solder in my own LED's with resistors directly onto the circuit board.

260twra.jpg

30ho2up.jpg

o8ewy1.jpg

Here are some from the 99-03 Rx300 speedometer cluster. Twist base, but two sizes- one for the idiot lights and another for the PRND21 lights. No idea what size these are, but still available from Lexus. No LED bulb replacement for the smaller type though.

2hrit1t.jpg

t5g87n.jpg

And here are two bulbs from the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h center console panel, these illuminating the heated seat and headlight washer switches. Both twist type, but no idea on the bulb size. No LED bulb replacement available.

10r7s6g.jpg

2djuz5e.jpg

The smallest bulb Lexus uses that has a direct LED bulb replacement in existence is in size T4/T5... These are used in the old Lexus speedometers (before the use of CCFL and SMD) and in the old radios (before these tiny "solder type" bulbs and SMD's).

You might get excited and think you can replace the interior lights to LED's, then open one switch to find it's the type that is soldered on- so you'll end up with every interior light turned to white, but one that's stuck on green... that unless you are able to do your own soldering and find an LED/SMD small enough to fit... :unsure: So it's always best to open everything up before going out and buying LED bulbs. <_<

Very interesting! I am impressed with the depth of your knowledge. I know from your previous "Mods" you've accomplished some amazing things, and I thank you for sharing this information. It should give the gentleman above pause before he jumps in to try and change all of his lights.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Paul

Thank you cduluk for your affort and all of you. I never thought there will be a bunch of interior bulbs. I don't think i will be able to switch them with my knowledge. I am planning to switch some major bulbs which are easy to take apart and put them together.

1. Head light to white HDMI

2. Map light or dome light

3. Steps light.

4. Mirror light ( side and underneat)

Can those replaceable? If so, any size for each of those and what kind of find out step by step to switching them? I want to switch a few more bulbs but i will start with these first. Is there a website which will tell me what all of major bulbs size?

Thanks.

What do you mean by white HDMI? The headlight low beams use Philips 4300k D4S HID bulbs, while the high beam/DRL uses probably 9005/9006 halogen. Does your ES have factory HID low beams? These can be changed to HID's but the high beams cannot be changed to HID. The fog lights can be changed to HID but you will need a kit with ballasts and new HID bulbs.

You need to check which size dome light bulb your ES has, as there are several. They do make dome light LED bulbs and they come in different sizes depending on how much room you have in the reflector. You need to open the housing up and see how much room you have available.

And what step lights are you talking about, the ones on the interior door panels that illuminate when the doors are open?

And the same is for the mirror lights. You need to open them up and see how much room you have to decide on which LED bulb will fit. Some LED bulbs have a single LED while some have 4 or so. Depending on how much room is in the reflector, you may be able to fit some and not others.

You really need to open these parts up and see how much room you have. <_< There's no straight answer as to which LED bulbs you can replace them with, as there are many to choose from.

Another option for the map/dome lights is to replace the overhead console with one from an 07-09 ES. They already had LED map and dome lights, they changed them to incandescent in 2010 because people were complaining about dim cabin lighting.

And what step lights are you talking about' date=' the ones on the interior door panels that illuminate when the doors are open?[/quote']

On the ES the puddle lamps are located in the base of the exterior mirrors instead of in the bottom of the doors...

SW, I thought about suggesting replacment of the entire overhead console with one from the 07-09 ES, but he'd lose the Lexus connect functions new for 2010.

I'm sure one could mix and match parts of the consoles but it might be a lot of work. Lexus did eliminate the 07-09 LED overhead consoles because the smaller 3 3mm LED's proved not bright enough... Why Lexus didn't just "upgrade" the LED's to larger ones amazes me, but my guess is that money had something to do with that decision to go back to halogen.

The overhead dome light bulbs are probably in size 175, which is a very unusual size Lexus likes to use. The closest replacment LED bulb available is in size T10 which fits sizes 194, 168 and 2825. The only issue is that some of these LED replacment bulbs may be too large to fit in the overhead reflectors. And some may not be 360 degree types which would limit their performance. You really need to open up the console and see how the bulbs are aligned. If they're facing directly down, you may have better luck finding a nice replacement LED.

Another option for the map/dome lights is to replace the overhead console with one from an 07-09 ES. They already had LED map and dome lights, they changed them to incandescent in 2010 because people were complaining about dim cabin lighting.

And what step lights are you talking about' date=' the ones on the interior door panels that illuminate when the doors are open?[/quote']

On the ES the puddle lamps are located in the base of the exterior mirrors instead of in the bottom of the doors...

I agree that the cabin lighting was dim on the '07-'09, but I liked the look and the ambiance they created on my '07. The dim lights were never too much of an issue for us.

SW, I thought about suggesting replacment of the entire overhead console with one from the 07-09 ES, but he'd lose the Lexus connect functions new for 2010.

Good point...I didn't think about that.