Rack And Pinion And Cracked Bushings.

Mizray

rack and pinion leak at 70k  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Isn't this kind of early for this leak?

• Isn't $2200 to repair high for leaky seal on rack pinion?

I took my car in for 70k service and then got a phone call that I now have cracked bushings and leaky rack and pinion steering problem. This seems early and sudden and I have taken care in for every scheduled service since I bought the car new. 2200 dollars to fix rack and pinion and 1100 to fix cracked bushings on front seems high! Anyone else experiencing this on their 2006 RX300?

I took my car in for 70k service and then got a phone call that I now have cracked bushings and leaky rack and pinion steering problem. This seems early and sudden and I have taken care in for every scheduled service since I bought the car new. 2200 dollars to fix rack and pinion and 1100 to fix cracked bushings on front seems high! Anyone else experiencing this on their 2006 RX300?

The economy is in the toilet and the dealer NEEDS your money (or at least HE thinks he does) . Does that give you a clue. Often, if the bill is on the dealers back, rather than yours, they decide what the car needs is VERY DIFFERENT. I worked for 'em for about 25 years of my life, and though there are honest ones, I don't trust most of them as far as I could throw 'em. (and THAT"S NOT VERY FAR!) Cracked bushings on an '06? I wouldn't walk, I'd RUN from that dealer! T/L doesn't make that kind of crap! They use HIGH quality parts in their cars. My DIL's '99 RX has over 150k mi. on it and has the original bushings, in good shape. (I do the mechanical work on the car, so I should know.)

PS Small surface cracks on the rubber has NO affect on the bushing at all, and in fact is normal.