Bmw Killer?

pj8708

Well....they could be worse...say....Government Motors 2.0....where one of the new Tax Payer Bailout "options" is a nifty little trick that results in the friggin' steering wheel falling off as you're driving down the highway at 70mph! "Dang it, I just can't get enough leg room in this fancy new Cruze"..."here, Bill, just turn the steering wheel to the left and it'll come off...there, see, lots of leg room now!"

Unbelievable. I assume you guys have seen this in the news? A funky computer is one thing..an abs sensor acting up is bad...a susposed stuck gas peddle is really bad.....BUT the friggin' steering wheel falling off in your hands? That takes the cake!! Way to go, GM! Only you could make Yugo look like a Honda....Good to see you spent that bailout money on some new manuals on how to build a car! Geezzzz

I need a drink...and it's only 9:45 in the morning!

Yeah, I can't even look at GM product anymore without being embarrassed for us. This is the best the US has to offer the world in automobiles???????? Really???? Frickin Hyundai who just started making cars 15 years ago are moving faster and further than GM in a shorter amount of time! GM's been making cars now what 70-80 years? Probably a total unit count of billions of cars made.....and still can't get it right?

I have to agree that Toyota and Lexus seem to be lowering the overall quality of materials in their recent models. Get in any new Corolla, Rav4 or Highlander, and you'll notice all the interior parts are of hard plastic. The older generations used "softer" vinyl covered parts, which in my opinion make the cars interiors feel more luxurious. This is also true for the 06-11 IS's and RX's...

I think they're slacking.

Manufacturers must either increase the price, or reduce quantity/quality in order to maintain costs. It is like that everywhere. You see plenty of examples at the supermarket where boxes of cookies, kleenex, etc. keep shrinking in size but sell for the same price.

I have a 1998 European performance car and the leather inside is as good as the day I took possession of the car. No wrinkle, no change in color (though note that the car has always been parked indoor). We are not building quality, but quantity. Also, lower quality can generate more maintenance and therefore more profits for the manufacturers. Only fools build products in the customers' interest.

I don't know the range of ages represented on this particular topic, and I don't possess the knowledge or experience with the other manufacturers products to voice a worthwhile opinion. But, I am chuckling at myself and the rest of us as the discussion goes on, how no matter when you were born, or what part of the country you live in, or what car you drive, we always seem to feel that some how things were better in the past. Kids had more respect. They didn't have tattoos all over them. Our parents worked harder. I WORKED harder getting started. People cared about quality, and with each decade some car quality has been getting worse.

Right or wrong? Perception is reality. I keep saying this and I apologize for being repetitive. But regardless of whether or not the quality is better, than it used to be, if you care enough about your Lexus to be on this board, then let Lexus know your opinion. Yes, the most effective way is to vote with your check book, but that doesn't happen often enough. E-mail or call Lexus and let them know what is on your mind. Complaining without action is just that, Complaining.

Paul

I'm paying little attention to marketing hype these days and am more interested in how much content I get for my dollar. I suspect Hyundai or some up and coming Chinese auto company will do to Toyota's Lexus brand what Toyota's Lexus brand did to Mercedes in the early 1990's. Toyota is going to have to substantially decrease the prices of its Lexus cars if it going to compete with the up-and-comers - maybe by "de-contenting" and/or moving more of its production to countries with lower labor rates like China and eventually to the biggest untapped pool of cheap labor - Africa.

I think I'd like a fairly inexpensive car next time -- one with a decent amount of leg room like this one ...

post-2157-0-85709500-1302834965_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-39749000-1302835014_thumb.jp

I wasn't trying to highlight or point to "they have bigger problems than anyone else." I was just pulling the most common issues I see to make the point that the grass isn't any greener over there. Your really just exchanging the problems your going to have.

I'm not saying the Hyundai is going to be more reliable than a Toyota...I'm saying its going to be about the same...in a more attractive package...for less money.

have to agree that Toyota and Lexus seem to be lowering the overall quality of materials in their recent models. Get in any new Corolla' date=' Rav4 or Highlander, and you'll notice all the interior parts are of hard plastic. The older generations used "softer" vinyl covered parts, which in my opinion make the cars interiors feel more luxurious. This is also true for the 06-11 IS's and RX's...[/quote']

You can't really compare interior quality of the 06+ IS to the old one, the 06+ IS is a HUGE improvement over the IS300 in every way.

I agree with you though, the interiors of Toyota branded vehicles have terrible materials nowadays. Even the more expensive cars like the Camry and Highlander, terrible plastics, cheap headliners, cardboard carpeting. Its a shame.

I think Toyota has the crummiest interior in its class nowadays.

I wasn't trying to highlight or point to "they have bigger problems than anyone else." I was just pulling the most common issues I see to make the point that the grass isn't any greener over there. Your really just exchanging the problems your going to have.

I'm not saying the Hyundai is going to be more reliable than a Toyota...I'm saying its going to be about the same...in a more attractive package...for less money.

For less money... and less service, less respect for customers and in the end, less of a car experience. Not for me. The car is only half the equation.

Not less when you're comparing it to Toyota. I'm not even really talking about the premium cars, I'm talking about looking at a Sonata or a Camry. A Santa Fe or a Rav 4. The Toyota dealer experience is simply average.

I agree with you obviously for the premium cars, which is why I got the Lexus not the Genesis.

Not less when you're comparing it to Toyota. I'm not even really talking about the premium cars, I'm talking about looking at a Sonata or a Camry. A Santa Fe or a Rav 4. The Toyota dealer experience is simply average.

I agree with you obviously for the premium cars, which is why I got the Lexus not the Genesis.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I was only referring to premium cars like Lexus versus the Genesis/Equus at Hyundai. Another thing I forgot to mention about the Genesis/Equus is that I couldn't believe how cheap the knob/wheel (big silver button) feels when you use it. Nevertheless, I think the 6 cylinders engine in the Genesis has more acceleration/power/punch than the 6 in the RX 350. The Genesis 6 cyl makes it feel like an 8 cyl when you floor the gas pedal. Really stunning. Only dislike is the 1 second delay between the moment you press the accelerator and you are pushed back into your seat :)

I thought it was a nice metallic controller...

Did you drive the V8? Talk about punch...

When I turned it, it was slightly uneven and felt cheap like hell. I was stunned. Not the best way to advertise your product.

The V8 performed as expected. After all, it is a V8. What I didn't expect is that the 6 cyl would perform so powerfully. I was doing about 30 mph when I floored the gas and after a pause of about one second, it took off like a rocket. I don't know if the tank had regular or Premium gas (as Premium does make quite a difference in pure acceleration when compared with regular gasoline). Much more powerful acceleration than the 6 in my RX 350. As far as performance is concerned, Hyundai has created an outstanding engine (dunno about reliability though...).

For people buying the Genesis, the 6 will offer plenty of power. The 8 is not absolutely necessary imho.

Also, I am really impressed by the 5 year warranty Hyundai offers, alas, the service department...