93 Lexus Ls400

JtJinx

I've recently changed the alternator and the ps hose in my 93 ls400 a couple of months ago due to a ps leak. I had no problems up until a week ago when the ps return hose rupture and again ruined the alternator. I replaced the hose and alternator but when starting up, there's no interior power. No lights, power windows, locks, moon roof and the only light that lights up is the airbag light on the instrument cluster. Headlights and windshield wipers don't work either. I've also noticed that the alternator is not doing its job in charging up the battery even though its been tested and works fine. I've tried checking the fuses and notice that the only fuse that keeps getting blown out is fuse#18 radio fuse no.1. I've checked the cd player in the back and replaced the fuse but it keeps blowing out. I really have no idea what could be wrong but I think this wouldn't stop the alternator for running. Anyone have any idea? Someone please help me.

There is a 120 Amp main fusible link that feeds your car with power. Sounds like that wire did not get reconnected or the link is blown. You didn't, by chance, happen to see some sparks fly when you were replacing the alternator? If you left the battery in place, it would be easy to short (to ground) the + terminal going to the alternator and take out the main fuse.

Thanks for your reply landar! As a matter of fact, there were some sparks but not from changing the alternator. I remember some spanks coming from the alternator while I was changing the high pressure power steering hose. I think the metal brace might've touch the ground connector on the alternator. After that happened I removed and got the alternator checked and replaced. I checked the 120 amp fuse link but it looks intact. I've also checked the circuit breakers but none have been tripped. I've checked the alternator wiring and nothing looks melded. In the meantime, my car is unmovable and is siting in the garage. Could it be anything else?

Thanks for your reply landar! As a matter of fact, there were some sparks but not from changing the alternator. I remember some spanks coming from the alternator while I was changing the high pressure power steering hose. I think the metal brace might've touch the ground connector on the alternator. After that happened I removed and got the alternator checked and replaced. I checked the 120 amp fuse link but it looks intact. I've also checked the circuit breakers but none have been tripped. I've checked the alternator wiring and nothing looks melded. In the meantime, my car is unmovable and is siting in the garage. Could it be anything else?

Just a reminder. You can't go by "looks" on the fusible link or other wiring. You have to use an ohmmeter, voltmeter or test light. I would also check your ground connections. Did you remember to reconnect the ground wire on the alternator?

Yes I've connected the ground wire on the alternator. I've replaced the 120 amp fuse link and replaced the battery with a new one, car starts up but no interior power and car cant be moved.

Yes I've connected the ground wire on the alternator. I've replaced the 120 amp fuse link and replaced the battery with a new one, car starts up but no interior power and car cant be moved.

If you know how to use a voltmeter it is time to go on a hunt for the missing "link". It would be good to also have a wiring diagram of your car. With so much power out, it should not be hard to trace it down. However, if you are unfamiliar/unsure with car wiring and tracing circuitry, you might need to enlist some local help. I would get into the main fuse box and start checking for voltage a key locations. I really think that "spark" you mentioned earlier took something out(wire, fuse).