Antenna Plastic Gear Strap

Have replaced antenna on 96 ES300 twice now. Each time, the new antenna goes up the first time fine. When I turn radio back off, the motor pulls plastic gear strap completly out of antenna mast. Seems like the clutch portion of motor assembly must be bad??? Any one have any thoughts? Is the "clutch" adjustable or should I just relpace entire assembly?

If entire assembly is the answer, are certain Toyota versions a cheaper alternative?

Thanks, Tom

Have replaced antenna on 96 ES300 twice now. Each time, the new antenna goes up the first time fine. When I turn radio back off, the motor pulls plastic gear strap completly out of antenna mast. Seems like the clutch portion of motor assembly must be bad??? Any one have any thoughts? Is the "clutch" adjustable or should I just relpace entire assembly?

If entire assembly is the answer, are certain Toyota versions a cheaper alternative?

Thanks, Tom

A Camry assy. will work.

I've replaced several antenna masts over the years, and have even opened up the drive assemblies to clean and relube some of them. Its pretty straight forward.

Yours suggests that the clutch assembly is not disengaging, and may well be corroded and gummed up. It sounds as if its pulling the whip down, but is not slipping as it should when the mast assembly fully bottoms out and is all wound up.

The most difficult part of this job is if the motor assembly is riveted together, rather than bolted. The bolted units are easy to get apart. The riveted ones require the rivets heads to be cut off with a drill bit, and then upon reassembly, to use either small diameter machine bolts or self tapping screws.

Most of what you'll find inside will be hardened grease or corrosion. Both will be a tip off as to whether you clean it up and get it working again, or replace it with a used Camry unit or similar. Good Luck!

Try here for a replacement.

http://antennamastsrus.com/

Super web-site. Item was $40.95 total and worked perfect. "Tech" at company helped quickly with wiring question. Like replacement better than factory original since it does not have clutch that grinds at each end of travel. Must be something like end switches.

Thanks for suggestion, Tom