Opinions On Low Profile Tires

I have low profile tires on 18" Lexus rims. The ride seems hard to me on my SC300. I just bought this car and have the opportunity to get the original Factory wheels with standard tires. How will the ride differ? and how do low profiles affect gas mileage? I have never had low profiles before and only have these as that is the way the car came. See photo

post-128334-0-11217600-1301871079_thumb.

I agree, having experinced the transition from 16" to 18" wheels recently (my choice) they are a firmer ride but nicer if coupled with improved suspension...there is less rubber and air going from 40-50's to 20's so less springy-ness and speed-bumpiness. To be honest, I would embrace the new 18 inchers myself as a much cooler choice but rather than torch nice wheels, you might look at changing out the springs to Eibach pro-kit (my choice for a slightly firmer ride but probably not best for you) or something softer. Or possibly you can add some rubber and height to your existing wheels by adding bigger rubber (see your tire dealer). Either get used to it or buy OEM on Craigslist and list yours (probably a wash) ...

• 3 weeks later...

Stock will give you are much nicer ride, but the 18" will give you superior handling! The 18" also give you a better look, that car is made for them! I have 18" on my SC400 and love the feel for handling and drive. It boils down to your preference.

I compromised.. I've had 17" on mine for a few years now. A little harder to find tires for, but worth the duel purpose end result. Better handling without being too hard.

• 4 months later...

So anyone in the LA area want these wheels? tires go with them of course and they are Michelin with about 70-75% wear left. Rated for 180 MPH. I got the stock wheels and would want the price for a set of tires for the stock wheels. $600. I am not going to ship these anywhere but will meet you within 50 miles of Santa Clarita.