At Shift Lag At Startup

jsmith20

I recently purchased a '99 LS400 with 83k on it (replaced my totaled '96). I have noticed that it has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd the first time...and sometimes back to 1st. Generally I'll shift into N for a second and then back to D and it shifts normally the rest of the trip.

It has been pretty cold here in Michigan and have been using that as an excuse. However, the weather has been warm enough lately that I don't think it should be cold enough to delay the shift. I have looked at the fluid, it is in the normal range for volume, but is a little darker than I would expect.

Thoughts? My plan is to replace the AT Fluid with the hope that will fix it, but would like your thoughts if I should try something more, at the same time.

Also - my battery was low the other day and as a result my "Low Windshield Fluid" alarm came on...I know, seems strange, but thats when it happened. I topped off the reservoir (was already 90% full), still on. Removed the battery cable for 30m+, still on...thoughts on how to reset this alarm?

83K isn't much mileage for these cars. Maybe one the solenoid shifters is dirty and sticking leading to a sluggush shift. Its a bit of a pain to drop the pan to swap it so you might want to replace the ATF first and see if that helps.

What did you top off the battery or the wiper fluid?? If the wiper fluid reservoir then maybe the float sensor is sticking leading to a false low setting.

Also - my battery was low the other day and as a result my "Low Windshield Fluid" alarm came on...I know, seems strange, but thats when it happened. I topped off the reservoir (was already 90% full), still on. Removed the battery cable for 30m+, still on...thoughts on how to reset this alarm?

If you mean it has a delayed 1-2 upshift when cold, then that's completely normal. It's done I think to ensure the cats heat up more quickly. My 98GS does the same thing, my 92LS never did. Seems to be part of the 5 speed auto programming.

No worries.

If you mean it has a delayed 1-2 upshift when cold, then that's completely normal. It's done I think to ensure the cats heat up more quickly. My 98GS does the same thing, my 92LS never did. Seems to be part of the 5 speed auto programming.

No worries.

YES !! both my 99's do this.

No worries.

YES !! both my 99's do this.

Perfect. New ATF may help a little, but sounds like this is just part of the program.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

83K isn't much mileage for these cars. Maybe one the solenoid shifters is dirty and sticking leading to a sluggush shift. Its a bit of a pain to drop the pan to swap it so you might want to replace the ATF first and see if that helps.

What did you top off the battery or the wiper fluid?? If the wiper fluid reservoir then maybe the float sensor is sticking leading to a false low setting.

Thank you for the feedback :-) I topped off the wiper fluid reservoir...I'll check the float sensor, I'm hoping it's that simple. I had a couple other alarms that tripped at the same time (check engine and check VCS?) but they both cleared after disconnecting the battery.

Yup, mine does the same as well, just had tranny fluid replaced, no change. Only when engine is cold, regardless of outside temp.

Thank you for the feedback :-) I topped off the wiper fluid reservoir...I'll check the float sensor, I'm hoping it's that simple. I had a couple other alarms that tripped at the same time (check engine and check VCS?) but they both cleared after disconnecting the battery.