Ok, I'm Sick Of It!

oldnfat

Ok guys, I'm sick of it!!! How do I get the stinking vents out to get to the radio screws???!!! I've pushed the clips out and pulled and pry'd and can't get the vents out!! I've circled the entire set of vents looking for more clips etc...no luck. The set that is in the bottom of the left and right vent are popped out...but the vents are still TIGHT as anything. I DON'T want to break anything trying. Any suggestions??

If you're referring to the 95 style, then I can tell you how I did it. I've done it twice now, and unless I absolutely have to, I'm not doing it again. The vents are in there very securely to say the least. there are two metal clips on the bottom - but knowing of their existence is really basically useless. I pryed a lot, mostly from the bottom, but its important that you keep moving around the thing. Its really frustrating trying to pry without messing up the interior or the vents and without prying so hard as to break the plastic. I found that I just pryed quite hard (but still with caution, know your own strength) on the bottom right corner until I felt it move a bit. Then I put something in there to hold it out, and I moved left from there and did the same thing. Once I felt that both of the bottom sides had been pulled maybe a 1/2 centimeter or so, I pryed all over the place until it started coming out. It will come out at a fairly steep angle upwards, so have that in mind when you're prying. I thought I broke the thing the second time I got it out, so Good luck...

Brother Kain

You don't tell us what year you have, but the manual for my wife's 97 shows 4 clips in the corners of the vent section above the radio. It sounds like you haven't released the 2 at the top yet. It also shows that there are 2 clips in the panel below the AC Unit just above the ash tray. It says "Using a screw driver, remove the panel. HINT:Tape the screwdriver tip before use." Those are the only instructions. Good Luck!

maybe someone can do a write-up of this, since its a really common problem for ES300's. that way anytime a person asks what to do about the climate control/ radio lights we can just refer them to the write-up. think about it - you could be famous...on LOC :P

Well, I found some lights at the radio shack that look identical, have the same voltage and the same resistance, so theoretically they should have the same current rating, and should work. They are 12V, 60mA microlamps. I still need to buy like 7 more sets of them, I'm 99% sure they are going to work after I soldered the first on. This is the radioshack online page for them:

Radio Shack Micro Lamps

I don't know for sure if they'll work yet, as I don't wanna put all of the CD player and what-not back together without first replacing all of the lights. If it works I'll post a short write-up of it. If it works then it'd be about a $15 fix to replace every single light ($.75 each). I didn't mess with taking apart the LED and replacing any of the backlights as none of mine were dead, so I don't know if they're bad. If you're not familiar with electronics, including soldering, I would not mess with this, it would be too easy to break something, especially those ribbon cables, they'll pull lose easiler (I know, I had to solder one of them back on, close call). I'll post sometime tomorrow saying if they work or not though... but they should.

Brother Kain

did you get it out yet?it is still tight even with the clips out so you will need to pull harder.try getting a flat head on both sides of the vent and pull that way.mine was tight also so i know what you mean.just keep trying till it pops out.good luck

These vents are a pain in the wazoo! I've still yet to get them out. I try for about 15-20 minutes a night. I've taken 2 putty knives and wrapped them in masking tape (to keep from skratching) and work my way around pushing, pulling...prying HARD...nothing...not even a centimeter. I'm going to break them or tear the dash up. I'm about to put a chain around them and ease them out with my engine hoist.......too bad I don't have a sun roof! :chairshot:

I've pulled the vents about 5 or 6 times now on my 92. Takes me no more than a minute to slide it out. Its pretty easy once you know where the tabs are. They are on the top about 1" in from the sides. I used a harness remover which is flat and bent downwards at the forked tip. I stick this tool in about 1 inch and push the handle of the tool up to force the tab down and pull outward at the same time. Just do this for one side to slide it out a bit (1/2 cm) then do the other side and it slides right out. Good luck.

:D

• 3 months later...

Well, I gave up on trying to get the vents out. For about the last 90 days, I've been too busy to try anymore. Well, here we are on Memorial Day Weekend, I set out to finish this job...one way or another. You guessed it, I got the vents out....only after they busted! :censored: So, here's another question. Where can I get another set?? In black!!

first, I think they only come in black plastic.

second, you could try local salvage yards, but you may have to remove them yourself......back to step one.

or

Lexus parts man. ching$$ ching$$. :(

lastly you could try ebay.

Currently this is one for an LS and one for a 1997 ES

steviej