You Are Subscribed To This Thread Car Not Responding To Fob Key, Manua

GrrrRx330

Thread title should say: Car not responding to fob key, manual lock not responding to key

Hi all,

I've seen similar posts, but none in regards to this problem specifically. The light on the fob key flashes when pushed, but the car does not respond. From this I can only assume there is no problem with the key. However, when I place the key in the lock, the lock fails to respond--it neither locks nor unlocks the car. I tried some WD40 on the key with no luck. I want to say there's a problem with the lock but I can't see how that would effect the car's response to the fob key.

Here's the kicker:

My model Rx (it's a 2004) has only 1 key hole which is located on the driver side door. No passenger key hole and no rear hatch key hole. So, as it stands, I'm locked out of my car!

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, changing the battery in the FOB would be the first check... it takes a lot less energy to make the LED flash than it does to transmit the signal.

Our old '99 RX300 sometimes doesn't respond to the key, and sometimes the response is delayed by 5 seconds or so, but most of the time it responds instantly... don't know why, but it's quirky.

If you've only got one key, I'd keep working at that lock to see if you can get it to open... did you try slightly different insertion depths of the key, pushing in a little bit on the door to see if that eases on the mechanism? Can you get any movement of the key, or is it frozen when inserted?

What works for us when the vehicle doesn't respond to the remote is to open the door manually and as the alarm goes off it always 'wakes up' and responds quickly to the key, which we use to disarm it. If you can 'joggle' the power somehow (i.e., press the panic button to get the alarm to go off, or somehow disconnect the battery for a bit... which I don't think you can get to from the outside), that might bring it back to life.

I can't think of much else. Kind of stinks that Lexus would drop the rear key hole... one port of keyed entry is pretty limiting.

Best of luck to you!

Yeah, changing the battery in the FOB would be the first check... it takes a lot less energy to make the LED flash than it does to transmit the signal.

Our old '99 RX300 sometimes doesn't respond to the key, and sometimes the response is delayed by 5 seconds or so, but most of the time it responds instantly... don't know why, but it's quirky.

If you've only got one key, I'd keep working at that lock to see if you can get it to open... did you try slightly different insertion depths of the key, pushing in a little bit on the door to see if that eases on the mechanism? Can you get any movement of the key, or is it frozen when inserted?

What works for us when the vehicle doesn't respond to the remote is to open the door manually and as the alarm goes off it always 'wakes up' and responds quickly to the key, which we use to disarm it. If you can 'joggle' the power somehow (i.e., press the panic button to get the alarm to go off, or somehow disconnect the battery for a bit... which I don't think you can get to from the outside), that might bring it back to life.

I can't think of much else. Kind of stinks that Lexus would drop the rear key hole... one port of keyed entry is pretty limiting.

Best of luck to you!

Ok, I changed the battery in the FOB to no avail, unfortunately. The part that baffles me is that I can't even unlock the door manually. Does anyone know if the 2004 RX's lock mechanism is integrated with some sort of electric component? I'm thinking this only because when the driver side door is unlocked it simultaneously unlocks all other doors. If for some odd reason my battery is also dead that would disable entry entirely. Thanks

Usually the key moves a mechanical lever that unlatches the door lock...Maybe your lock mechanism fell apart....

You hit it on the head! I had lexus come out and sure enough, the latch somehow managed to break since its last use (2 weeks ago)! Well, I guess the hardest part was identifying the problem. The non-responding fob key is explainable by way of a weak alternator. What a convenient combination :chairshot:

Nonetheless, thanks a ton guys!