Interior Staff Of Ls400 Is Noising And Vibrating

bluethunder2008

Well I've noticed increased noises during the winter in my former 99LS, but most of them were related to freezing cold, cause once the weather turned warmer all the noises disappeared. I've tightened most the bolts in the doors and that reduced some noise.

should not be any noises in any weather, you have to tighten all the enterior plastic parts in order for those noises to be gone. you can ask you mechanic to do it or do it yourself. you dont have to go to the dealer to do this

My 90 LS 400 has 227K and it has no interior squeaks or rattles- even over large bumps. It does oddly however have an occasional "ticking/pop" sound from some of the interior plastic pieces- over small sharp bumps and expansion joints at lower speeds. Even this is not too bad, as I cannot hear them when the windows are down, or the A/C blower, or just radio is on. I think that a lot of my minimal noise is coming from the leather seats. No suprise considering the car is 14 year and 2 months old and has 227,100 miles. The sounds from my car is not from poor workmanship, but rather I think from where the car has endured 14 years of bright southern sunshine- which over the years has "shrunken" and hardened some of the interior panels. I have noticed that parts of the instrument panels that are padded and was originally soft are now somewhat hardened. I am sure that some of the hard plastic interior pieces (which are minimal on the LS400s) have also endured the effects of the bright southern sunshine. I am sure that the interior temperature changes also add to the problem. If a car is temperature controlled garage kept- this should not be a problem. I do not think my car has been stored indoors too much, but at least the original leather interior is still in excellent condition, with no cracking, but my car is a well cared for previous 1-owner car.

In reply to your problem, I would think that a 1998, with low miles should still be 100% noise free.

Hello ,

I have LS400 '98 and the last two months , I start to hate my car, all the interior staff in the car producing noising sound. Is it possible to ask the Car dealer to fix it , or it's just normal things happen to the car once it's get oldder ?

As everyone has said, it is NOT NORMAL.

Give us more info....

Only when fan is on? In headliner around sunroof? Are you parked in shade all day and then this happens when sun hits dash, etc...? Tires @ 2/32"? - or maybe their brittle?

Hey bluethunder,

I had another thought.........

You don't happen to have your garage remote up in the visor ( or other stuff).

The plastic/metal clip on the remote will eventually loosen and that thing will creak like crazy and it's a hard sound to locate - like its all over the place.

Let me know..............?

Hi all,

I should go to the Car dealer and ask him to tight the stuff in the car I think this is my problem.

I park my car in a shadow , I have nothing damaged.

The only thing I should tell you all, the road around 7 mile going back home from my work is not good road , vibrating all the time. and may be this effect the interiors ?

B)

BlueThunder2008:

Tell us exactly what it sounds like. Does it sounds like a rattle, a constant buzz, or something else? Your original statement doesn't include any details.

Also, it would help if you learn where the sound is coming from? This way we can have you troubleshoot, and you don't have to take it in. :)

• 5 months later...
Hi ,

it's a kind like rattle and buzz comming from the the doors and from the front panel. and it get more noisy when I drive in Rough road.

I had experience similar to your situation and got it fixed.

Noise was coming from Sunroof side track. It made tick tick tick tick...and it was worse when I passed rough ground or road. I also realized that noise was coming from front passenger seat from black plastic emergency box so I pulled out tighten with sponge tapes around the edge of plastic box...now noise is gone for ever. Please give it a try. Good luck.

Hi ,

it's a kind like rattle and  buzz comming from the the doors and from the front panel. and it get more noisy when I drive in Rough road.

I had experience similar to your situation and got it fixed.

Noise was coming from Sunroof side track. It made tick tick tick tick...and it was worse when I passed rough ground or road. I also realized that noise was coming from front passenger seat from black plastic emergency box so I pulled out tighten with sponge tapes around the edge of plastic box...now noise is gone for ever. Please give it a try. Good luck.

Black plstic box is underneath front passenger side seat.

Instead of starting a new post I might just as well take advantage of this one. I also have vibration noise on my 92. Fixed tranny mount a month ago. The noise stopped for 2 weeks, but now it came back to haunt me again.

It sounds like that the rattle noise comes from the left driver's door panel. If I put my left knee against the door hard enough while driving, the noise stops. Similarily, if I pull on the door with my left arm hard enough, the noise stops. The noise will come back as soon as there are no force applied to the door. Are there any loose piece that I can tighten?

Instead of starting a new post I might just as well take advantage of this one. I also have vibration noise on my 92. Fixed tranny mount a month ago. The noise stopped for 2 weeks, but now it came back to haunt me again.

It sounds like that the rattle noise comes from the left driver's door panel. If I put my left knee against the door hard enough while driving, the noise stops. Similarily, if I pull on the door with my left arm hard enough, the noise stops. The noise will come back as soon as there are no force applied to the door. Are there any loose piece that I can tighten?

Maybe a loose screw or broken clip on the door panel. Do you know if the door panels have ever been removed?

To update on my car- it now has 231K, with minimal interior noise. When I first got it at 224K- it was 100% rattle and squeak free. Now, when I hit a big bump, if my front passenger side window is down, it will "rattle" in the door. I still get the occasional "tick" or "pop" sound when I hit a sharp bump, but the car is 14 years old and it has endured 14 years of sunshine, so I am sure many interior parts have shrunk. Still, for a 14 year old car, with 231K, it is impressively quiet, except for the front suspension "clunking" when I go over bumps.

To answer another question - yes- driving on rough roads will make a car rattle sooner than normal.

Instead of starting a new post I might just as well take advantage of this one.  I also have vibration noise on my 92.  Fixed tranny mount a month ago.  The noise stopped for 2 weeks, but now it came back to haunt me again. 

It sounds like that the rattle noise comes from the left driver's door panel.  If I put my left knee against the door hard enough while driving, the noise stops.  Similarily, if I pull on the door with my left arm hard enough, the noise stops.  The noise will come back as soon as there are no force applied to the door.  Are there any loose piece that I can tighten?

Maybe a loose screw or broken clip on the door panel. Do you know if the door panels have ever been removed?

To update on my car- it now has 231K, with minimal interior noise. When I first got it at 224K- it was 100% rattle and squeak free. Now, when I hit a big bump, if my front passenger side window is down, it will "rattle" in the door. I still get the occasional "tick" or "pop" sound when I hit a sharp bump, but the car is 14 years old and it has endured 14 years of sunshine, so I am sure many interior parts have shrunk. Still, for a 14 year old car, with 231K, it is impressively quiet, except for the front suspension "clunking" when I go over bumps.

To answer another question - yes- driving on rough roads will make a car rattle sooner than normal.

I have a 98 LS. In the past when i was waiting for the traffic light, I heard the sound from the front passenger's box(under the CD charger). I could stop it by open it & close it immediately. However, it happened again for the next traffic light. About 2 weeks ago, I have my dealer replaced the engine mount & Tranny mount. All of this was gone. Also, it is incrediable that the engine is super quiet & just like I'm driving an electronic car. I hope this helps.