Sc400 Tires

pinkpearl

any suggestions on why the rear tires on my 95 SC400 wear extremely fast? i am not an agressive driver :) , but the last set of tires for the rear only lasted 3K miles. Those were replaced and now after 2K miles, they are almost illegal again. The tires are wearing evenly.

Tread Wear rating of 180 is very very low. Many, Many years ago a standard was established to gauge the wear rating of tires. A 180 tire will wear 1.8 times this standard. A 180 is a Super High Performance tire. A High Performance All Season Radial will be somewhere around 300-320. A 300-320 tread wear rating will last 20,000 - 30,000 miles. A 180 will last 6,000 to 12,000 miles. Premature wear is most likely caused by poor alignment. Rear tires will look like they are wearing evenly, even if they are out of alignment. Uneven wear is more noticeable on the front as the angle of the tread changes as you turn the steering.

Alignment/Alignment/Alignment!

:cheers:

• 3 years later...
any suggestions on why the rear tires on my 95 SC400 wear extremely fast? i am not an agressive driver :) , but the last set of tires for the rear only lasted 3K miles. Those were replaced and now after 2K miles, they are almost illegal again. The tires are wearing evenly.

Not certain, but it sounds like a design issue of your vehicle? I've driven all sorts of vehicles, and my RX400h has worn out tires faster than any others I've owned in the past.

Premature tire wear. The service manager thought I did well by going 30k on these Goodyear Eagles, where he's seen some with only 12 or 13k miles on this brand of tires before it needs replacing.

Any suggestions or comments? has Toyota/Lexus done any rebates or recalls concerning this?

pinkpear, If you want longer tread life, stay away from the Summer Ultra High Performance tires and go with All season tires.

Click on the the link below and then click on the Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG).

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresfilter.asp